Anyone who says size doesn’t matter never played a third-person shooter,” notes a girl named October (Sophia Bush) in what passes for gamer wit in Stay Alive, a teen horror show — featuring Frankie Muniz in an upside-down visor cap — that revolves around a Cruella De Vil type with shears who kills you in the real world when you die in her videogame. That’s how it’s supposed to work, anyway — but this dopey movie keeps flouting its own rules, so that one character who dies in the game gets to live, while poor suckers get offed for real even though we never saw their Game Overs. Videogames are no longer brainless, so why are videogame movies so slow to evolve?
(STAY ALIVE: Rebecca M. Heunermund-Brennem)
Genre: Horror; Starring: Jon Foster, Frankie Muniz, Sophia Bush, Adam Goldberg; Director: William Brent Bell; Author: William Brent Bell; Release Date Wide: 03/24/2006; Runtime (in minutes): 85; MPAA Rating: PG-13; Distributor: Buena Vista Pictures, Hollywood Pictures
Posted March 29 2006 — 12:00 AM EST
- Ansel Elgort remembers former classmate after his death
- New 'Downton Abbey' trailer previews final season
- 'Les Miserables' actor dies at 21
- Jackson family remembers Michael Jackson on his birthday
- Amal Clooney says Egyptian Al-Jazeera conviction 'sends a dangerous message'
- 5 best non-singles from Kanye West's 'Late Registration' on its 10th anniversary
- 'Supernatural': Jensen Ackles talks season 11's female big bad
- 'American Horror Story: Hotel' First Look: 11 EW exclusive photos
- 17 photos of people you forgot hung out at the VMAs
- 24 Movies With Great Opening Scenes
- 'Survivor: Cambodia—Second Chance' Cast Photos Revealed!
- Where is the cast of 'Can't Hardly Wait' now?
- Demi Lovato, Nicki Minaj, Bill Murray, Bruce Willis and More!