Everwood is known for its stellar cast and ability to tackle hard-hitting topics, as well as its top-notch writing, like this piercing bit of dialogue between Hannah (Sarah Drew) and Amy (Emily VanCamp) in the second of two March 27 episodes. Amy: ”It’s beautiful.” Hannah: ”I can’t believe my mom bought me a new Mercury Milan…. I love the headlights! Aren’t they the coolest shape ever?” Amy: ”Yes, they’re very stylish.” Obviously with this blatant plug, it appears Everwood has become pay-to-play territory. (The four-door sedan not only got a full scene’s worth of camera time, but Hannah concluded the proceedings by inquiring, ”Wanna see the cup holders? They’re really fancy.”) At a time when Hollywood writers are alleging that networks force them to shoehorn products into scripts (they’re demanding a cut of the profits, as a result), is that what happened between The WB and Everwood? Actually, claims the drama’s co-producer David Hudgins, it never got that ugly; he and the writers were already planning to give the transportation-challenged Hannah a car when The WB approached them about shilling for Mercury (who paid a fee for the privilege). ”If they came to us saying, ‘We want Hannah to have a spaceship,’ that would be one thing,” says Hudgins. ”But it worked very well in this situation. Very easy to do, very seamless.” Even so, it still drives us crazy.
Posted March 31 2006 — 12:00 AM EST
- Mario Lopez dressed his son in a 'Saved by the Bell' shirt
- 'Arrow' star Stephen Amell is headed to WWE's 'Monday Night RAW'
- Calvin Harris' How Deep Is Your Love' music video stars Gigi Hadid
- Alexander Skarsgård dressed in drag for 'Teenage Girl' premiere
- 'UnREAL' postmortem: Creators talk finale, look ahead to season 2
- 'Monty Python and the Holy Grail' will be back in theaters this fall
- Meet the Ares 3 crew in new clip from 'The Martian'