Everwood is known for its stellar cast and ability to tackle hard-hitting topics, as well as its top-notch writing, like this piercing bit of dialogue between Hannah (Sarah Drew) and Amy (Emily VanCamp) in the second of two March 27 episodes. Amy: ”It’s beautiful.” Hannah: ”I can’t believe my mom bought me a new Mercury Milan…. I love the headlights! Aren’t they the coolest shape ever?” Amy: ”Yes, they’re very stylish.” Obviously with this blatant plug, it appears Everwood has become pay-to-play territory. (The four-door sedan not only got a full scene’s worth of camera time, but Hannah concluded the proceedings by inquiring, ”Wanna see the cup holders? They’re really fancy.”) At a time when Hollywood writers are alleging that networks force them to shoehorn products into scripts (they’re demanding a cut of the profits, as a result), is that what happened between The WB and Everwood? Actually, claims the drama’s co-producer David Hudgins, it never got that ugly; he and the writers were already planning to give the transportation-challenged Hannah a car when The WB approached them about shilling for Mercury (who paid a fee for the privilege). ”If they came to us saying, ‘We want Hannah to have a spaceship,’ that would be one thing,” says Hudgins. ”But it worked very well in this situation. Very easy to do, very seamless.” Even so, it still drives us crazy.
Posted March 31 2006 — 12:00 AM EST
- 'Arrow' first look: Check out Diggle's new super suit
- 'House of Cards' actor joins 'Luke Cage' as Cottonmouth
- Anne Hathaway says she's already losing roles to younger actresses
- See Daniel Radcliffe play 'Grand Theft Auto' creator in new movie
- The 'Age of Ultron' gag reel proves the Avengers are only human (well, except Thor)
- Keith Richards disses hip-hop, heavy metal in new interview
- Justin Bieber sets Spotify record with 'What Do You Mean?'
- 8 most polarizing celebrities in 'Dancing With the Stars' history
- All the VMAs 2015 performances graded
- VMAs 2015 Red Carpet: See All the Looks!
- 16 TV characters who stuck around longer than expected
- Behind Lady Gaga's killer look in 'American Horror Story: Hotel'
- Heidi & Howie, Chris Evans, Kelly Rowland and More!