Everwood is known for its stellar cast and ability to tackle hard-hitting topics, as well as its top-notch writing, like this piercing bit of dialogue between Hannah (Sarah Drew) and Amy (Emily VanCamp) in the second of two March 27 episodes. Amy: ”It’s beautiful.” Hannah: ”I can’t believe my mom bought me a new Mercury Milan…. I love the headlights! Aren’t they the coolest shape ever?” Amy: ”Yes, they’re very stylish.” Obviously with this blatant plug, it appears Everwood has become pay-to-play territory. (The four-door sedan not only got a full scene’s worth of camera time, but Hannah concluded the proceedings by inquiring, ”Wanna see the cup holders? They’re really fancy.”) At a time when Hollywood writers are alleging that networks force them to shoehorn products into scripts (they’re demanding a cut of the profits, as a result), is that what happened between The WB and Everwood? Actually, claims the drama’s co-producer David Hudgins, it never got that ugly; he and the writers were already planning to give the transportation-challenged Hannah a car when The WB approached them about shilling for Mercury (who paid a fee for the privilege). ”If they came to us saying, ‘We want Hannah to have a spaceship,’ that would be one thing,” says Hudgins. ”But it worked very well in this situation. Very easy to do, very seamless.” Even so, it still drives us crazy.
Posted January 17 2015 — 7:41 AM EST
- 'Orphan Black' star Jordan Gavaris talks Felix
- Kids' Choice Awards host Nick Jonas answers questions from kids
- 'Walking Dead' star Tovah Feldshuh on Rick-Deanna showdown
- '12 Monkeys' exec producer: THAT Ramse arc 'planned from the first minute'
- Prince sued in recording battle over 'Voice' singer Judith Hill
- James Bond enters a 'hurricane' in first 'Spectre' teaser
- 'Legend of Zelda' for Wii U delayed
- 'Grey's Anatomy': 10 years, 20 defining moments
- 'Batman v. Superman' character portraits: Like the looks?
- 'American Crime Story' cast: Think each actor looks the part?
- Double trouble: Movie/TV characters who fight themselves
- Patricia Field on 5 costume gigs before she got 'Younger'
- Jimmy Fallon, Liv Tyler, Emilia Clarke & More!