In this intensely observed tale, U.S. relief worker Jack Diaz arrives in the coup-ridden Ivory Coast on behalf of Potable Water International. When funding for clean-water programs dries up after 9/11, Diaz is forced to fit in as best he can: farming, hunting, and seducing locals. Tony D’Souza, an ex-Peace Corps volunteer, achieves a delicate balance in creating Jack, a white man (in Africa, even Latinos are white) who is a blatant cliché in his quest for African ”authenticity,” but real enough for you to believe in his mission. Yet, as the chief in Jack’s village puts it after receiving a food shipment that causes a major contretemps, ”We didn’t ask for that gift, or this trouble it has brought.” Like Whiteman itself, the statement is a subtle but damning response to the assumption that Western aid is all-benevolent.
Whiteman In this intensely observed tale, U.S. relief worker Jack Diaz arrives in the coup-ridden Ivory Coast on behalf of Potable Water International. When...WhitemanFictionTony D'Souza In this intensely observed tale, U.S. relief worker Jack Diaz arrives in the coup-ridden Ivory Coast on behalf of Potable Water International. When...2006-04-05Harcourt
Genre: Fiction; Author: Tony D'Souza; Publisher: Harcourt
Posted January 17 2015 — 7:41 AM EST
- 'Outlander' boss Ronald Moore talks Geillis reveal, Claire's shocking choice
- 'Orphan Black' creators on series' sexy, surreal return
- Tatiana Maslany on 'Orphan Black' return, and 'totally changing up what people were going to expect'
- Jonathan Crombie, seen as Gilbert Blythe in 'Anne of Green Gables' films, dies at 48
- Johnny Kemp, 'Just Got Paid' singer, dies
- Star Wars Celebration: Jakku, BB-8 and other key takeaways about 'The Force Awakens'
- Two generations of heroes meet in new 'Star Wars Rebels' trailer
- 'Star Wars' fans take Anaheim: Celebration photos
- 'Orphan Black': So, you wanna date a clone?
- 'Star Wars': 15 behind-the-scenes 'Force Awakens' pics
- Dirty words on TV? 17 faves whose spew is par for the coarse
- TV Style: 3 costume pros on their '70s-'80s-'90s inspirations
- Prince Harry, Christina Aguilera, Diane Kruger & More!