In this intensely observed tale, U.S. relief worker Jack Diaz arrives in the coup-ridden Ivory Coast on behalf of Potable Water International. When funding for clean-water programs dries up after 9/11, Diaz is forced to fit in as best he can: farming, hunting, and seducing locals. Tony D’Souza, an ex-Peace Corps volunteer, achieves a delicate balance in creating Jack, a white man (in Africa, even Latinos are white) who is a blatant cliché in his quest for African ”authenticity,” but real enough for you to believe in his mission. Yet, as the chief in Jack’s village puts it after receiving a food shipment that causes a major contretemps, ”We didn’t ask for that gift, or this trouble it has brought.” Like Whiteman itself, the statement is a subtle but damning response to the assumption that Western aid is all-benevolent.
Whiteman In this intensely observed tale, U.S. relief worker Jack Diaz arrives in the coup-ridden Ivory Coast on behalf of Potable Water International. When...WhitemanFictionTony D'Souza In this intensely observed tale, U.S. relief worker Jack Diaz arrives in the coup-ridden Ivory Coast on behalf of Potable Water International. When...2006-04-05Harcourt
Genre: Fiction; Author: Tony D'Souza; Publisher: Harcourt
Posted April 5 2006 — 12:00 AM EDT
- What to expect (and what we hope) will be at this year's San Diego Comic-Con
- Kourtney Kardashian, Scott Disick break up
- A$AP Rocky apologizes for those Rita Ora lyrics
- Zach Levi on 'Heroes: Reborn': I wanted something that wasn't Chuck
- Wall Street Journal to publish first chapter of Harper Lee's 'Go Set A Watchman'
- Will this be Hollywood's biggest box-office year ever?
- See Amy Schumer audition for 'The Real Housewives' of any city
- Reel-to-real couples: 12 relationships on-screen and off
- 'Back to the Future' turns 30: See the cast, then and now
- 'Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice': 6 EW exclusive photos
- Comic-Con 2015 preview: 10 panels we can't wait to see
- 'Seinfeld' faves: Where are they now?
- Kendall Jenner, Liv Tyler, Jessie J & More!