In Glamorous Disasters, Ivy League idealist Noah — an SAT tutor for New York City’s private school elite — compares his $395-per-hour services to those of a ”well-kept callboy.” He begins tutoring apathetic jock Dylan Thayer, but is soon playing personal assistant to Dylan’s mother, a ”monstrous” and manipulative pediatrician, and trying to ”save” Dylan’s sister Tuscany, whose main impediment to success is apparently that she’s ”way too hot.” The Thayers are composite sketches of Fifth Avenue decadence; Eliot Schrefer’s astute observations about privilege and social class are overshadowed by his uneven writing style, which jumps from nightclub name-dropping to meditations like this: ”The blue liquid seems to find the gin in his stomach a good playmate, and the two heave and frolic together.” Schrefer’s melodramatic debut is no disaster, but it’s not the incisive tell-all it aims to be.
Glamorous DisastersIn Glamorous Disasters, Ivy League idealist Noah — an SAT tutor for New York City's private school elite — compares his $395...Glamorous DisastersFictionEliot SchreferIn Glamorous Disasters, Ivy League idealist Noah — an SAT tutor for New York City's private school elite — compares his $395...2006-04-12Simon & Schuster
Genre: Fiction; Author: Eliot Schrefer; Publisher: Simon & Schuster
Posted April 12 2006 — 12:00 AM EDT
- 'Vikings' shocker: Creator Michael Hirst talks the death of [spoiler]
- 'Vikings' kills again: A talk with the departing actor
- Casting Net: Viola Davis, Catalina Sandino Moreno star in 'Custody'
- Obama talks 'The Wire' with David Simon
- Warner Bros wins bid for rights to viral 'Sundays' short
- Oscar producers Meron, Zadan moving on
- Craig T. Nelson back as Hayden Fox in NBC 'Coach' revival
- 'American Crime Story' cast: Think each actor looks the part?
- Double trouble: Movie/TV characters who fight themselves
- Patricia Field on 5 costume gigs before she got 'Younger'
- 'Game of Thrones' London premiere: Red carpet style
- Best ‘DWTS’ champ? A (non-scientific) power ranking
- Russell Crowe, Elisabeth Moss, Ben Affleck & More!