Mo’Nique is fat. Almost every scene in Phat Girlz — the fancy z is for Z-grade — is about how she’s fat. How fat is she? Her character Jazmin’s so fat that when she gets dressed on screen, the soundtrack plays ”Brick House.” She’s so fat she eats at Fatassburger. She’s so fat that when she meets a hot, rich doctor (Jimmy Jean-Louis), he has to be from Nigeria because — did you know? — only African guys like big girls. Jazmin’s so fat that the movie reduces her to a single discernible characteristic, which is a telltale mark of many a wholly awful comedy.
(Phat Girlz: Valerie Goodloe)
Genre: Comedy; Starring: Mo'Nique; Director: Nnegest Likké; Author: Nnegest Likké; Release Date Wide: 04/07/2006; Runtime (in minutes): 99; MPAA Rating: PG-13; Distributor: Fox Searchlight Pictures
Posted April 12 2006 — 12:00 AM EDT
- Listen to David Tennant explain Einstein's theory of general relativity
- See the fiery opening title sequence for 'The Shannara Chronicles'
- Daniel Radcliffe is jealous of Eddie Redmayne's 'Fantastic Beasts' costume
- Ron Howard set to direct thriller 'The Girl Before'
- Ice-T and Coco welcome daughter Chanel Nicole
- John Stamos shares high school prom throwback photo
- Chris Miller shares an update on 'The Lego Movie' sequel