Mo’Nique is fat. Almost every scene in Phat Girlz — the fancy z is for Z-grade — is about how she’s fat. How fat is she? Her character Jazmin’s so fat that when she gets dressed on screen, the soundtrack plays ”Brick House.” She’s so fat she eats at Fatassburger. She’s so fat that when she meets a hot, rich doctor (Jimmy Jean-Louis), he has to be from Nigeria because — did you know? — only African guys like big girls. Jazmin’s so fat that the movie reduces her to a single discernible characteristic, which is a telltale mark of many a wholly awful comedy.
(Phat Girlz: Valerie Goodloe)
Genre: Comedy; Starring: Mo'Nique; Director: Nnegest Likké; Author: Nnegest Likké; Release Date Wide: 04/07/2006; Runtime (in minutes): 99; MPAA Rating: PG-13; Distributor: Fox Searchlight Pictures
Posted April 12 2006 — 12:00 AM EDT
- Listen to Led Zeppelin's Lost 'Sunshine Woman' Track
- Ava DuVernay tweets support for Leslie Jones: 'Stay up, sis'
- Here's why Giancarlo Esposito turned down a Marvel TV role
- 'Jason Bourne' 3-D screenings causing nausea and protests in China
- Olympian auctions off medal to pay young boy's medical bills
- Nicole Scherzinger's Britney Spears impression is 'Crazy' good
- Woody Allen on Dylan Farrow accusations: 'I get harassed all the time on it'