Mo’Nique is fat. Almost every scene in Phat Girlz — the fancy z is for Z-grade — is about how she’s fat. How fat is she? Her character Jazmin’s so fat that when she gets dressed on screen, the soundtrack plays ”Brick House.” She’s so fat she eats at Fatassburger. She’s so fat that when she meets a hot, rich doctor (Jimmy Jean-Louis), he has to be from Nigeria because — did you know? — only African guys like big girls. Jazmin’s so fat that the movie reduces her to a single discernible characteristic, which is a telltale mark of many a wholly awful comedy.
(Phat Girlz: Valerie Goodloe)
Genre: Comedy; Starring: Mo'Nique; Director: Nnegest Likké; Author: Nnegest Likké; Release Date Wide: 04/07/2006; Runtime (in minutes): 99; MPAA Rating: PG-13; Distributor: Fox Searchlight Pictures
Posted January 17 2015 — 7:41 AM EST
- Daytime Emmys 2015 winners are...
- 'Game of Thrones': Kit Harington on Jon's brutal decision
- 'Game of Thrones' team explains their choices on Sansa's story
- 'Avengers: Age of Ultron': $200+M so far
- Jay Z on Tidal: 'We aren't perfect, but we are determined'
- 'Grey's Anatomy' fans launch petition to bring McDreamy back
- Patrick Dempsey's EW Q&A on 'Grey's' exit: 'Shonda cares deeply about fans and how they will react'