Mo’Nique is fat. Almost every scene in Phat Girlz — the fancy z is for Z-grade — is about how she’s fat. How fat is she? Her character Jazmin’s so fat that when she gets dressed on screen, the soundtrack plays ”Brick House.” She’s so fat she eats at Fatassburger. She’s so fat that when she meets a hot, rich doctor (Jimmy Jean-Louis), he has to be from Nigeria because — did you know? — only African guys like big girls. Jazmin’s so fat that the movie reduces her to a single discernible characteristic, which is a telltale mark of many a wholly awful comedy.
(Phat Girlz: Valerie Goodloe)
Genre: Comedy; Starring: Mo'Nique; Director: Nnegest Likké; Author: Nnegest Likké; Release Date Wide: 04/07/2006; Runtime (in minutes): 99; MPAA Rating: PG-13; Distributor: Fox Searchlight Pictures
Posted April 12 2006 — 12:00 AM EDT
- 'Sex Box' react: Enclosed encounters of the absurd kind
- Buffy season 8 recap: 'No Future for You'/'Wolves at the Gate'
- Jennifer Lawrence vs. 'tabloid malarkey'
- 'Parks and Recreation': On the set for the last day of filming
- '12 Monkeys' boss on Cole's fate (Spoiler Alert!)
- EW recommends: Bieber, baseball, and Broadway
- Casting Net: Leonardo DiCaprio to play multiple personalities in The Crowded Room