Mo’Nique is fat. Almost every scene in Phat Girlz — the fancy z is for Z-grade — is about how she’s fat. How fat is she? Her character Jazmin’s so fat that when she gets dressed on screen, the soundtrack plays ”Brick House.” She’s so fat she eats at Fatassburger. She’s so fat that when she meets a hot, rich doctor (Jimmy Jean-Louis), he has to be from Nigeria because — did you know? — only African guys like big girls. Jazmin’s so fat that the movie reduces her to a single discernible characteristic, which is a telltale mark of many a wholly awful comedy.
(Phat Girlz: Valerie Goodloe)
Genre: Comedy; Starring: Mo'Nique; Director: Nnegest Likké; Author: Nnegest Likké; Release Date Wide: 04/07/2006; Runtime (in minutes): 99; MPAA Rating: PG-13; Distributor: Fox Searchlight Pictures
Posted April 12 2006 — 12:00 AM EDT
- James Corden's parents cover WWE Monday Night Raw
- Shonda Rhimes on 'Scandal': 'I never said this was the final season'
- Morrissey reveals world tour dates
- Billy Ray Cyrus comedy 'Still the King' renewed by CMT
- Cartoon Hillary Clinton pokes fun of DNC drama with Stephen Colbert
- ‘Grey’s Anatomy’: Ellen Pompeo's choice to stay ‘based solely on age'
- Jimmy Kimmel's Baby Bachelorette contestants tell all
- Toronto Film Festival 2016: See First Look Images From This Year's Lineup
- 'One Tree Hill': Where Are They Now?
- 'Little Miss Sunshine': Where Are They Now?
- 'Harry Potter and the Cursed Child': 22 Magical Photos
- Comic-Con 2016: Celebs at the Biggest Day 4 Panels
- 'Friends': See the Cast's Evolution Over 10 Years