Mo’Nique is fat. Almost every scene in Phat Girlz — the fancy z is for Z-grade — is about how she’s fat. How fat is she? Her character Jazmin’s so fat that when she gets dressed on screen, the soundtrack plays ”Brick House.” She’s so fat she eats at Fatassburger. She’s so fat that when she meets a hot, rich doctor (Jimmy Jean-Louis), he has to be from Nigeria because — did you know? — only African guys like big girls. Jazmin’s so fat that the movie reduces her to a single discernible characteristic, which is a telltale mark of many a wholly awful comedy.
(Phat Girlz: Valerie Goodloe)
Genre: Comedy; Starring: Mo'Nique; Director: Nnegest Likké; Author: Nnegest Likké; Release Date Wide: 04/07/2006; Runtime (in minutes): 99; MPAA Rating: PG-13; Distributor: Fox Searchlight Pictures
Posted April 12 2006 — 12:00 AM EDT
- 'Teen Wolf' sets January return date
- Robin Williams works his magic in 'Aladdin' outtakes
- See the first trailer for 'The Mortal Instruments' TV series 'Shadowhunters'
- 'Agent Carter' casts Whitney Frost and more season 2 additions
- CBS orders murder mystery from Steven Spielberg's Amblin Television
- 9 things we learned about 'Elementary' season 4 at New York Comic-Con
- Three 6 Mafia rapper Koopsta Knicca dies at 40