Mo’Nique is fat. Almost every scene in Phat Girlz — the fancy z is for Z-grade — is about how she’s fat. How fat is she? Her character Jazmin’s so fat that when she gets dressed on screen, the soundtrack plays ”Brick House.” She’s so fat she eats at Fatassburger. She’s so fat that when she meets a hot, rich doctor (Jimmy Jean-Louis), he has to be from Nigeria because — did you know? — only African guys like big girls. Jazmin’s so fat that the movie reduces her to a single discernible characteristic, which is a telltale mark of many a wholly awful comedy.
(Phat Girlz: Valerie Goodloe)
Genre: Comedy; Starring: Mo'Nique; Director: Nnegest Likké; Author: Nnegest Likké; Release Date Wide: 04/07/2006; Runtime (in minutes): 99; MPAA Rating: PG-13; Distributor: Fox Searchlight Pictures
Posted April 12 2006 — 12:00 AM EDT
- 'Survivor': Jeff Probst on the latest medical scare
- 'Criminal Minds': Thomas Gibson returns for premiere
- 'Birth of a Nation' director Nate Parker to appear on '60 Minutes'
- Bon Iver played a surprise concert at Berlin hotel
- 'Empire': Listen to 'Infamous' by Mariah Carey, Jussie Smollett & cast
- Marvel's 'Black Panther' has found another villain
- Brad Pitt takes voluntary drug test for DCFS investigation