Mo’Nique is fat. Almost every scene in Phat Girlz — the fancy z is for Z-grade — is about how she’s fat. How fat is she? Her character Jazmin’s so fat that when she gets dressed on screen, the soundtrack plays ”Brick House.” She’s so fat she eats at Fatassburger. She’s so fat that when she meets a hot, rich doctor (Jimmy Jean-Louis), he has to be from Nigeria because — did you know? — only African guys like big girls. Jazmin’s so fat that the movie reduces her to a single discernible characteristic, which is a telltale mark of many a wholly awful comedy.
(Phat Girlz: Valerie Goodloe)
Genre: Comedy; Starring: Mo'Nique; Director: Nnegest Likké; Author: Nnegest Likké; Release Date Wide: 04/07/2006; Runtime (in minutes): 99; MPAA Rating: PG-13; Distributor: Fox Searchlight Pictures
Posted April 12 2006 — 12:00 AM EDT
- Can the 'Legends of Tomorrow' ever truly defeat Vandal Savage?
- EXCLUSIVE VIDEO: Ryan Reynolds on how he was forced into 'X-Men Origins: Wolverine'
- Casting Net: Taraji P. Henson to star in Hidden Figures
- 'Grey's Anatomy' star Ellen Pompeo on Meredith-centric midseason return
- Nasim Pedrad to play teenage boy in Fox pilot 'Chad: An American Boy'
- A house divided in 'House of Cards' season 4 trailer
- 'Gilmore Girls' revival casts former 'Bunheads' star Sutton Foster
- 30 Exclusive First Look Photos at the New Wizarding World of Harry Potter
- This Is What the Grammys Looked Like in 1996
- 'Beautiful Girls': Where Are They Now?
- 15 Musicians Who Banned Candidates From Using Their Songs
- See '90s Stars at the 1996 'Broken Arrow' Premiere
- 35 Tom Hiddleston Photos For His 35th Birthday