Mo’Nique is fat. Almost every scene in Phat Girlz — the fancy z is for Z-grade — is about how she’s fat. How fat is she? Her character Jazmin’s so fat that when she gets dressed on screen, the soundtrack plays ”Brick House.” She’s so fat she eats at Fatassburger. She’s so fat that when she meets a hot, rich doctor (Jimmy Jean-Louis), he has to be from Nigeria because — did you know? — only African guys like big girls. Jazmin’s so fat that the movie reduces her to a single discernible characteristic, which is a telltale mark of many a wholly awful comedy.
(Phat Girlz: Valerie Goodloe)
Genre: Comedy; Starring: Mo'Nique; Director: Nnegest Likké; Author: Nnegest Likké; Release Date Wide: 04/07/2006; Runtime (in minutes): 99; MPAA Rating: PG-13; Distributor: Fox Searchlight Pictures
Posted April 12 2006 — 12:00 AM EDT
- Casting Net: James Marsden, Rosario Dawson, more lend voices to 'Henchmen'
- Bruce Jenner in photo shoot as woman
- Judy Greer and Nat Faxon preview 'Married' season 2
- Universal TV to adapt 'The Wicked + The Divine' comic for TV
- Emma Stone as an Asian-American in 'Aloha': Who's buying it?
- Iggy Azalea cancels Great Escape Tour
- Marvel contest gives teen girls the chance to attend 'Ant-Man' premiere