Lifting a concept isn’t exactly foreign to the world of animation (what’s The Lion King if not Bambi with manes?), but it isn’t often a rip-off gets as blatant as The Wild, a flat-out regurgitation of Madagascar. Seriously: same overly civilized New York zoo animals, same midnight escape to the canyons of Manhattan, same stowaway to Africa, same tribe of deranged musical beasties. The difference is that where Madagascar was witty enough to see the folly of a domesticated lion finding his untamed self, The Wild, beneath some ”wacky” chatter, is earnest to the point of dullness.
(The Wild: Disney)
Genre: Animation; Starring: Kiefer Sutherland, Eddie Izzard; Director: Steve Williams; Author: Mark Gibson; Release Date Wide: 04/14/2006; Runtime (in minutes): 94; MPAA Rating: G; Distributor: Buena Vista Pictures
Posted April 12 2006 — 12:00 AM EDT
- 'Vikings' shocker: Creator Michael Hirst talks the death of [spoiler]
- 'Vikings' kills again: A talk with the departing actor
- Casting Net: Viola Davis, Catalina Sandino Moreno star in 'Custody'
- Obama talks 'The Wire' with David Simon
- Warner Bros wins bid for rights to viral 'Sundays' short
- Oscar producers Meron, Zadan moving on
- Craig T. Nelson back as Hayden Fox in NBC 'Coach' revival
- 'American Crime Story' cast: Think each actor looks the part?
- Double trouble: Movie/TV characters who fight themselves
- Patricia Field on 5 costume gigs before she got 'Younger'
- 'Game of Thrones' London premiere: Red carpet style
- Best ‘DWTS’ champ? A (non-scientific) power ranking
- T.I. & Kevin, Jon Hamm, Olivia & Jason and More!