Lifting a concept isn’t exactly foreign to the world of animation (what’s The Lion King if not Bambi with manes?), but it isn’t often a rip-off gets as blatant as The Wild, a flat-out regurgitation of Madagascar. Seriously: same overly civilized New York zoo animals, same midnight escape to the canyons of Manhattan, same stowaway to Africa, same tribe of deranged musical beasties. The difference is that where Madagascar was witty enough to see the folly of a domesticated lion finding his untamed self, The Wild, beneath some ”wacky” chatter, is earnest to the point of dullness.
(The Wild: Disney)
Genre: Animation; Starring: Kiefer Sutherland, Eddie Izzard; Director: Steve Williams; Author: Mark Gibson; Release Date Wide: 04/14/2006; Runtime (in minutes): 94; MPAA Rating: G; Distributor: Buena Vista Pictures
Posted April 12 2006 — 12:00 AM EDT
- The 50 Most Watched Broadcast Shows of 2014-15
- Extreme Fan Club with Chris Pratt -- exclusive video
- EW's definitive ranking of the top 10 'Pac-Man' ghosts
- Funeral for slain New York rapper will be held next week
- What to binge-watch: Memorial Day marathon edition
- Pac-Man turns 35: Looking back on three-plus decades of video games, pop culture, and cereal
- 'Mad Men' finale attracts record audience
- Cannes 2015: What's buzzing in film and fashion (so far)
- 'Survivor': Meet 20 alums you picked for a 'Second Chance'
- Ellie Kemper, more faces of the 2015 Webby Awards
- Summer Music Preview 2015: 10 hottest tours
- Melissa McCarthy: Did you know she was in...?
- Kendall & Lily, Jon Bon Jovi, Chanel Iman and More!