The sleuths at Botswana’s No. 1 Ladies’ Detective Agency confront some characteristically poky new dilemmas in the slight, winsome seventh installment of the Alexander McCall Smith series, Blue Shoes and Happiness. A cook has been stealing her employer’s food for her fat husband, a doctor is falsifying blood-pressure readings, and a newspaper advice columnist may be running a blackmail racket. Meanwhile, ”traditionally built” Mma Ramotswe goes on a diet and her colleague Grace Makutsi buys a pair of impractical, pointy-toed shoes. ”Most problems could be diminished by the drinking of tea and the thinking through of things,” Mma Ramotswe reflects, again demonstrating how common sense, decency, and a hot drink can save the day.
Blue Shoes and Happiness The sleuths at Botswana's No. 1 Ladies' Detective Agency confront some characteristically poky new dilemmas in the slight, winsome seventh installment...Blue Shoes and HappinessMystery and Thriller, FictionAlexander McCall Smith The sleuths at Botswana's No. 1 Ladies' Detective Agency confront some characteristically poky new dilemmas in the slight, winsome seventh installment...2006-04-14Pantheon
Genre: Mystery and Thriller, Fiction; Author: Alexander McCall Smith; Publisher: Pantheon
Posted April 14 2006 — 12:00 AM EDT
- 'Crimson Peak' exclusive: Mia Wasikowska flees the darkness in Guillermo del Toro's Gothic chiller
- Beach reads: 15 heart-stopping thrillers to dive into this summer
- Zack Snyder defends ‘Man of Steel’ ending: You can’t have superheroes knock around with no consequences
- 50 Songs for 50 States: EW's favorite patriotic pop through the years
- 'Big Brother': Julie Chen answers our burning Q's about Jace, Audrey, and a twist
- See Nic Cage in his 'Superman Lives' costume
- Ava DuVernay won't direct Marvel film
- 'Back to the Future' turns 30: See the cast, then and now
- 'Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice': 6 EW exclusive photos
- Comic-Con 2015 preview: 10 panels we can't wait to see
- 'Seinfeld' faves: Where are they now?
- 14 high school movies that defined their year
- Eddie Redmayne, Eva Longoria, Flo Rida & More!