Director Satyajit Ray takes on India’s colonial past in a refined satire about an ambitious British general (Richard Attenborough) with designs on a politically naive king’s realm. Emphasizing that the fate of many is often decided by a few, Ray focuses on a handful of characters, one greedy, the rest mostly foolish, particularly the affectionately observed chess players (Sanjeev Kumar and Saeed Jaffrey), so obsessed with a game that they’re oblivious to the impending upheaval. Unlike the director’s emotionally rich Apu Trilogy, The Chess Players is more admirable than stirring. EXTRAS A list of Ray’s films and a poster.
The Chess Players Director Satyajit Ray takes on India's colonial past in a refined satire about an ambitious British general (Richard Attenborough) with designs on a...The Chess PlayersForeign LanguageSatyajit RayPT129M Director Satyajit Ray takes on India's colonial past in a refined satire about an ambitious British general (Richard Attenborough) with designs on a...2006-04-14
Genre: Foreign Language; Starring: Sanjeev Kumar, Saeed Jaffrey; Director: Satyajit Ray; Author: Satyajit Ray; Runtime (in minutes): 129
Posted January 17 2015 — 7:41 AM EST
- Mariah Carey to perform at 2015 Billboard Music Awards
- Kygo turns Tove Lo's 'Habits (Stay High)' into the piano ballad you need
- Tegan and Sara, F--ked Up, and more join indie rock video game
- E! orders Jillian Michaels docu-series, comedy series produced by Joel McHale
- 'Tony Hawk Pro Skater 5' announced
- Mindy Kaling reveals cover for second book, 'Why Not Me?'
- MTV's 'Awkward' books 'Mean Girls' actor Jonathan Bennett
- 'Pitch Perfect 2' costume designer's fashion notes
- Mourning after: Best TV episodes after a key character died
- NSYNC hair, revisited on 'It's Gonna Be May' meme day
- 'Outlander' sweats details so Lallybroch feels like home
- 'Grey's Anatomy': How 10 characters/actors exited the show
- Rob & Kate, Anna Kendrick, Vanessa & Selena and More!