Susanna Hoffs and Matthew Sweet both have voices like gumdrops, which makes the spectre of Under the Covers Vol. 1 a little menacing. Each cover is built on densely layered guitars and finished with poofy harmonies, and none could be called ambitious, but there’s surprising joy to be found in a couple of pros singing songs they love. Hoffs still has that adorable quaver, and Sweet supports her with steady warmth. Together they turn ”It’s All Over Now, Baby Blue” into something less monumental and more intimate than the original — a perfect late-summer pop song.
Under the Covers, Vol. 1 Susanna Hoffs and Matthew Sweet both have voices like gumdrops, which makes the spectre of Under the Covers Vol. 1 a little menacing....Under the Covers, Vol. 1Rock, Pop Susanna Hoffs and Matthew Sweet both have voices like gumdrops, which makes the spectre of Under the Covers Vol. 1 a little menacing....2006-04-14
Genre: Rock, Pop; Lead Performers: Matthew Sweet, Susanna Hoffs; Producer (group): Shout Factory
Posted January 17 2015 — 7:41 AM EST
- 'Star Wars: Rogue One' will depict raid to steal original Death Star plans
- 'Furious 7' holds off 'Paul Blart' to win box office for third weekend in a row
- Victoria Justice breaks news to fans on Twitter: 'Eye Candy' canceled by MTV
- Jon Stewart explains why he quit 'The Daily Show'
- Jason Sudeikis on present (two Tribeca films), past ('SNL'), and future ('Fletch'?)
- 'Outlander' boss on Geillis reveal, Claire's shocking choice
- 'Orphan Black' creators on series' sexy, surreal return
- 'Star Wars' fans take Anaheim: Celebration photos
- 'Orphan Black': So, you wanna date a clone?
- 'Star Wars': 15 behind-the-scenes 'Force Awakens' pics
- Dirty words on TV? 17 faves whose spew is par for the coarse
- TV Style: 3 costume pros on their '70s-'80s-'90s inspirations
- Kellie Pickler, Julia Roberts, Taylor Swift & More!