Susanna Hoffs and Matthew Sweet both have voices like gumdrops, which makes the spectre of Under the Covers Vol. 1 a little menacing. Each cover is built on densely layered guitars and finished with poofy harmonies, and none could be called ambitious, but there’s surprising joy to be found in a couple of pros singing songs they love. Hoffs still has that adorable quaver, and Sweet supports her with steady warmth. Together they turn ”It’s All Over Now, Baby Blue” into something less monumental and more intimate than the original — a perfect late-summer pop song.
Under the Covers, Vol. 1 Susanna Hoffs and Matthew Sweet both have voices like gumdrops, which makes the spectre of Under the Covers Vol. 1 a little menacing....Under the Covers, Vol. 1Rock, Pop Susanna Hoffs and Matthew Sweet both have voices like gumdrops, which makes the spectre of Under the Covers Vol. 1 a little menacing....2006-04-14
Genre: Rock, Pop; Lead Performers: Matthew Sweet, Susanna Hoffs; Producer (group): Shout Factory; Status: In Season
Posted April 14 2006 — 12:00 AM EDT
- Will Smith back in 'Focus': What critics said
- 'The Red Road's Jason Momoa on season 2 and when we can expect Aquaman in action
- Look, but don't retouch? What our female celeb photo fascination says about us
- Chris Rock and Tracy Morgan exchange comic haymakers in 'Top Five' outtakes
- 'Sex Box' react: Enclosed encounters of the absurd kind
- Buffy season 8 recap: 'No Future for You'/'Wolves at the Gate'
- Jennifer Lawrence vs. 'tabloid malarkey'
- 'Empire': New EW cast portraits and behind-the-scenes photos
- 'Dancing with the Stars': Sizing up the season 20 cast
- 'Parks' 2017: What we embrace/dread in world of tomorrow
- Oscars 2015: EW exclusive rehearsal photos
- Oscars 2015 backstage: EW all-access photo pass
- Susan Sarandon, Prince William and More!