Susanna Hoffs and Matthew Sweet both have voices like gumdrops, which makes the spectre of Under the Covers Vol. 1 a little menacing. Each cover is built on densely layered guitars and finished with poofy harmonies, and none could be called ambitious, but there’s surprising joy to be found in a couple of pros singing songs they love. Hoffs still has that adorable quaver, and Sweet supports her with steady warmth. Together they turn ”It’s All Over Now, Baby Blue” into something less monumental and more intimate than the original — a perfect late-summer pop song.
Under the Covers, Vol. 1 Susanna Hoffs and Matthew Sweet both have voices like gumdrops, which makes the spectre of Under the Covers Vol. 1 a little menacing....Under the Covers, Vol. 1Rock, Pop Susanna Hoffs and Matthew Sweet both have voices like gumdrops, which makes the spectre of Under the Covers Vol. 1 a little menacing....2006-04-14
Genre: Rock, Pop; Lead Performers: Matthew Sweet, Susanna Hoffs; Producer (group): Shout Factory
Posted April 14 2006 — 12:00 AM EDT
- Broadway-bound 'SpongeBob' musical to premiering in Chicago
- 'Drunk History' season 3 scoop: Will Ferrell as Roald Dahl and more
- One Direction producer previews new 1D album: 'We're experimenting a little'
- Rachel Bilson, Autumn Reeser stage 'O.C.' reunion at 'Unauthorized O.C. Musical'
- 'Fear the Walking Dead' ratings dip to still-huge numbers
- Kylie Jenner stars in Tyga's new music video for 'Stimulated'
- First Look: Lucy Lane on 'Supergirl'
- VMAs 2015 Red Carpet: See All the Looks!
- 16 TV characters who stuck around longer than expected
- Behind Lady Gaga's killer look in 'American Horror Story: Hotel'
- 'American Horror Story: Hotel' First Look: 11 EW exclusive photos
- 17 photos of people you forgot hung out at the VMAs
- Reese Witherspoon, Aziz Ansari, Brooks & Julianne and More!