Director Stephen Frears (High Fidelity) is not necessarily known for his Busby Berkeley touch. But in Mrs. Henderson Presents, he whips up a flaky musical pastry around Judi Dench’s saucy Oscar-nominated performance as the moneybags widow who revitalized a wartime London theater by suggesting that the high-kickers take it all off. EXTRAS Mrs. Henderson’s original dancers are charmingly unabashed in making-of interviews. Frears, meanwhile, admits in a commentary that he was ”very taken, reading the script, with the idea of Judi saying ‘f—’ at the end of it. My heart leapt.”
Genre: Comedy; Starring: Judi Dench, Bob Hoskins, Christopher Guest; Director: Stephen Frears; Author: Martin Sherman; Release Date Wide: 12/25/2005; Runtime (in minutes): 103; MPAA Rating: R; Distributor: The Weinstein Company
Posted April 18 2006 — 12:00 AM EDT
- Kelly Rowland at Essence Fest previews BET series to find next great girl group
- The Nathan's Hot Dog Eating contest crowned a new champion on July 4
- Diana Douglas, mother of Michael Douglas and ex-wife of Kirk Douglas, dies at 92
- Hello Kitty movie targeted for 2019
- 'Suicide Squad' on-set photo: Harley Quinn birthday cake for Margot Robbie
- Caitlyn Jenner 'proud to be an American'
- Lil Wayne: 'Free Weezy Album' on Tidal
- 'Back to the Future' turns 30: See the cast, then and now
- 'Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice': 6 EW exclusive photos
- Comic-Con 2015 preview: 10 panels we can't wait to see
- 'Seinfeld' faves: Where are they now?
- 14 high school movies that defined their year
- Garcelle Beauvais, Kylie Jenner, Serena Williams & More!