Not your average divorce gift: Clean’s writer-director Olivier Assayas created the role of recovering rock-world druggie Emily Wang for his ex-wife, art-house/action-pic royalty Maggie Cheung (In the Mood for Love). The story itself is an oddly flat tale of recovery amid lifestyle excesses: Just out of jail, after supplying the heroin on which her rock-star husband OD’d, Emily must qualify to reclaim custody of her young son. (Nick Nolte makes an unlikely father-in-law and guardian.) But the role is a plum — and Cheung was rewarded with the prize for best actress at Cannes in 2004.
Genre: Drama; Starring: Maggie Cheung, Beatrice Dalle, Jeanne Balibar, Nick Nolte; Director: Olivier Assayas; Author: Olivier Assayas; Runtime (in minutes): 110; MPAA Rating: R; Distributor: Palm Pictures
Posted April 19 2006 — 12:00 AM EDT
- Skrillex + Diplo release Jack U debut
- 'Empire' star Jussie Smollett on the power of Jamal's coming-out
- 'Focus' aims to lift box office crown from 'Fifty Shades of Grey'
- Bruce Willis indie-thriller 'Wake' halts production due to lack of funding
- 'How to Get Away with Murder' creator on season 1 success, season 2 ideas
- Catwoman comes out as bisexual in comic
- 'How to Get Away with Murder' creator on that killer finale and what's next
- 'Empire': New EW cast portraits and behind-the-scenes photos
- 'Dancing with the Stars': Sizing up the season 20 cast
- 'Parks' 2017: What we embrace/dread in world of tomorrow
- Oscars 2015: EW exclusive rehearsal photos
- Oscars 2015 backstage: EW all-access photo pass
- Taylor, Rita & Orlando, Amanda and More!