Not your average divorce gift: Clean’s writer-director Olivier Assayas created the role of recovering rock-world druggie Emily Wang for his ex-wife, art-house/action-pic royalty Maggie Cheung (In the Mood for Love). The story itself is an oddly flat tale of recovery amid lifestyle excesses: Just out of jail, after supplying the heroin on which her rock-star husband OD’d, Emily must qualify to reclaim custody of her young son. (Nick Nolte makes an unlikely father-in-law and guardian.) But the role is a plum — and Cheung was rewarded with the prize for best actress at Cannes in 2004.
Genre: Drama; Starring: Maggie Cheung, Beatrice Dalle, Jeanne Balibar, Nick Nolte; Director: Olivier Assayas; Author: Olivier Assayas; Release Date Limited: 04/28/2006; Runtime (in minutes): 110; MPAA Rating: R; Distributor: Palm Pictures
Posted April 19 2006 — 12:00 AM EDT
- Prince announces three-day Labor Day party ahead of album release
- ABC Family's 13 Nights of Halloween: Who's joining Harry Potter and Batman?
- 'Mr. Robot' finale postmortem: Creator Sam Esmail answers burning questions
- Christian Slater weighs in on 'Mr. Robot' twist and season finale
- 'iZombie' season 2 trailer teases what (or who) is on the menu for Liv Moore
- Casting Net: Mad Men star Jessica Pare cast in Lovesick
- 'Can't Buy Me Love' star Amanda Peterson's cause of death was an overdose
- All the VMAs 2015 performances graded
- VMAs 2015 Red Carpet: See All the Looks!
- 16 TV characters who stuck around longer than expected
- Behind Lady Gaga's killer look in 'American Horror Story: Hotel'
- 'American Horror Story: Hotel' First Look: 11 EW exclusive photos
- The A List Ladies, Jake Gyllenhaal, Anna & Jane and More!