Not your average divorce gift: Clean’s writer-director Olivier Assayas created the role of recovering rock-world druggie Emily Wang for his ex-wife, art-house/action-pic royalty Maggie Cheung (In the Mood for Love). The story itself is an oddly flat tale of recovery amid lifestyle excesses: Just out of jail, after supplying the heroin on which her rock-star husband OD’d, Emily must qualify to reclaim custody of her young son. (Nick Nolte makes an unlikely father-in-law and guardian.) But the role is a plum — and Cheung was rewarded with the prize for best actress at Cannes in 2004.
Genre: Drama; Starring: Maggie Cheung, Beatrice Dalle, Jeanne Balibar, Nick Nolte; Director: Olivier Assayas; Author: Olivier Assayas; Release Date Limited: 04/28/2006; Runtime (in minutes): 110; MPAA Rating: R; Distributor: Palm Pictures
Posted April 19 2006 — 12:00 AM EDT
- See 4 never-before-seen images from the illustrated 'Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone'
- 21 things we learned from Lifetime's 'Unauthorized 90210 Story'
- Michael Fassbender 'studied Ashton Kutcher' (not really) for 'Steve Jobs'
- Why Victoria Justice got starstruck at Fashion Week
- Broadway's Cinderella and Prince Hans actor from 'Frozen' tie the knot
- Miley Cyrus hosts 'SNL': EW live blog
- Miley Cyrus hosts 'SNL': Play People's unofficial drinking game