Not your average divorce gift: Clean’s writer-director Olivier Assayas created the role of recovering rock-world druggie Emily Wang for his ex-wife, art-house/action-pic royalty Maggie Cheung (In the Mood for Love). The story itself is an oddly flat tale of recovery amid lifestyle excesses: Just out of jail, after supplying the heroin on which her rock-star husband OD’d, Emily must qualify to reclaim custody of her young son. (Nick Nolte makes an unlikely father-in-law and guardian.) But the role is a plum — and Cheung was rewarded with the prize for best actress at Cannes in 2004.
Genre: Drama; Starring: Maggie Cheung, Beatrice Dalle, Jeanne Balibar, Nick Nolte; Director: Olivier Assayas; Author: Olivier Assayas; Release Date Limited: 04/28/2006; Runtime (in minutes): 110; MPAA Rating: R; Distributor: Palm Pictures
Posted April 19 2006 — 12:00 AM EDT
- Halloween ComicFest 2016: Here are all the free comics you can get
- Joel McHale on 'The Great Indoors': 'We are equal opportunity offenders'
- 'Thor: Ragnarok' wraps production
- The 'Walking Dead'-'Supernatural' tweet crossover you need to see
- 'Peanuts' meets 'Stranger Things' in clever mash-up video
- 'Girl Meets World': Eric Matthews is running for president
- 'Fantastic Beasts': Peek inside NYC’s magical speakeasy, the Blind Pig