Sexual obsession is a tricky thing to put on film. You can reveal all the flesh you want, yet how do you get an audience to experience, vicariously, what’s going on in the mind, the heart, and…other parts of your protagonist? In I Am a Sex Addict, the writer, director, and star, Caveh Zahedi, turns filmmaking into confession, acting out his own erotic memoir, and since what he tells us isn’t pretty, the film carries a grubby, sensational conviction it’s hard to turn away from. A tense, squirrelly man with big white burning eyes that make him resemble a gnarlier Fisher Stevens, Zahedi speaks directly to the audience, then goes back to recall and reenact his relationships, exploring the addiction to prostitutes — and the compulsive honesty about it — that destroyed, over and over again, his love life. His biggest delusion is that his 1960s-style ”openness” was anything but veiled hostility. Yet when it comes to revealing the twists and turns of his libido, Zahedi is ruefully funny and savage in his self-exposure. He shows us how sex, for him, became a refuge, a packaged escape, a drug posing as a force of life. I wish that the actresses playing Zahedi’s wives and girlfriends weren’t so L.A.-model sexy compared to the real, earthy women themselves (whom we glimpse in home-movie footage), yet in one case, with Amanda Henderson as Devin, a free-spirited alcoholic whose problems, for once, matched his own, Zahedi demonstrates that he’s a diary-film maker who can transcend confession — and its lurid cousin, exhibitionism, too.
I Am a Sex AddictSexual obsession is a tricky thing to put on film. You can reveal all the flesh you want, yet how do you get an audience to experience, vicariously, what...I Am a Sex AddictComedyCaveh ZahediPT98MUnratedSexual obsession is a tricky thing to put on film. You can reveal all the flesh you want, yet how do you get an audience to experience, vicariously, what...2006-04-19Rebecca LordEmily MorseRebecca Lord, Emily Morse
Genre: Comedy; Starring: Amanda Henderson, Caveh Zahedi, Rebecca Lord, Emily Morse; Director: Caveh Zahedi; Author: Caveh Zahedi; Release Date Limited: 04/05/2006; Runtime (in minutes): 98; MPAA Rating: Unrated
Posted April 19 2006 — 12:00 AM EDT
- 'Ghostbusters' star Leslie Jones celebrates birthday with an Ecto-1 cake
- Tyler Perry shares touching tribute from Bobbi Kristina Brown's funeral
- See Hugh Jackman bring back the ALS Ice Bucket Challenge
- See Beyoncé birthday wishes from Gwyneth Paltrow, Blue Ivy, and more
- See Kevin Bacon's sweet anniversary tribute to Kyra Sedgwick
- Idris Elba addresses James Bond casting speculation
- Jimmy Fallon thanks Madame Tussauds for making a wax figure of Grumpy Cat
- Force Friday: See Hasbro's 'Star Wars: The Force Awakens' toys
- How three worlds collided for the Shondaland cast shoot: See the exclusive photos
- 8 most polarizing celebrities in 'Dancing With the Stars' history
- All the VMAs 2015 performances graded
- VMAs 2015 Red Carpet: See All the Looks!
- Dakota Johnson, Keanu Reeves, Bar Refaeli & More!