A deliriously, defiantly unfocused headrush, Stick It is primarily an exercise in exercise. It’s a sports movie that rather hates its sport gymnastics and mercilessly claws at its hidebound conventions, even as the camera lovingly, lavishly music-videos every vault, every layout, every straining sinew. ”Love the gymnast, hate the gymnastics” seems to be the message. Our very ripped heroine is Haley (Missy Peregrym), a troubled former tumbler well on her way to sanitized Disney delinquency (property damage, black T-shirts) until she’s forced to train under a flinty coach (Jeff Bridges). In a thrilling if wholly unearned twist, Haley teaches her fellow leotards that individuality trumps conformity. But Stick It is written and directed by Bring It On scribe Jessica Bendinger, so really, sass trumps everything.
(Stick It: Peter Iovino)
Genre: Comedy, Sports; Starring: Jeff Bridges, Missy Peregrym, Vanessa Lengies; Director: Jessica Bendinger; Author: Jessica Bendinger; Release Date Wide: 04/28/2006; Status: In Season; Runtime (in minutes): 105; MPAA Rating: PG-13; Distributor: Touchstone Pictures
Posted April 19 2006 — 12:00 AM EDT
- Bones, Sleepy Hollow crossover date revealed
- Disney chief on 'Star Wars' box office: Don’t get cocky
- 'SYTYCD' mentor blog: tWitch on why Team Street is 'squad dreams supreme'
- Darren Criss in talks for 'American Horror Story: Hotel'
- Chris Hyndman, CBC talk show host, dies at 49
- ‘Wicked City’ producers say oral sex murder scene is ‘not violence porn’
- Final season of cult U.K. sitcom 'Peep Show' starts shooting