A deliriously, defiantly unfocused headrush, Stick It is primarily an exercise in exercise. It’s a sports movie that rather hates its sport gymnastics and mercilessly claws at its hidebound conventions, even as the camera lovingly, lavishly music-videos every vault, every layout, every straining sinew. ”Love the gymnast, hate the gymnastics” seems to be the message. Our very ripped heroine is Haley (Missy Peregrym), a troubled former tumbler well on her way to sanitized Disney delinquency (property damage, black T-shirts) until she’s forced to train under a flinty coach (Jeff Bridges). In a thrilling if wholly unearned twist, Haley teaches her fellow leotards that individuality trumps conformity. But Stick It is written and directed by Bring It On scribe Jessica Bendinger, so really, sass trumps everything.
(Stick It: Peter Iovino)
Genre: Comedy, Sports; Starring: Jeff Bridges, Missy Peregrym, Vanessa Lengies; Director: Jessica Bendinger; Author: Jessica Bendinger; Release Date Wide: 04/28/2006; Runtime (in minutes): 105; MPAA Rating: PG-13; Distributor: Touchstone Pictures
Posted April 19 2006 — 12:00 AM EDT
- 'Once Upon a Time': The hooded figure is revealed!
- Justin Bieber confirms he's single: 'I'm not really looking either'
- 'The Walking Dead' star Steven Yeun marries Joana Pak
- Donald Trump makes cinema great again on hilarious Instagram account
- 'Transformers' teases new trailer in behind-the-scenes clip
- Vanessa Bayer shares backstage photos of Jennifer Aniston on 'SNL'
- Box office: 'Moana' tops for second week, Disney sets industry record
- The 'Office Christmas Party' Cast Decks the Halls With Merry Mayhem
- The Best Gifts For 'Gilmore Girls' Fans
- See Exclusive Photos From Star-Studded Performances of 'Oh, Hello'
- 35 Photos of Britney Spears For Her 35th Birthday
- 12 Stars Who Are EGOT Winners
- 10 Celebs Who Appeared on 'Star Search' Before They Made It Big