A deliriously, defiantly unfocused headrush, Stick It is primarily an exercise in exercise. It’s a sports movie that rather hates its sport gymnastics and mercilessly claws at its hidebound conventions, even as the camera lovingly, lavishly music-videos every vault, every layout, every straining sinew. ”Love the gymnast, hate the gymnastics” seems to be the message. Our very ripped heroine is Haley (Missy Peregrym), a troubled former tumbler well on her way to sanitized Disney delinquency (property damage, black T-shirts) until she’s forced to train under a flinty coach (Jeff Bridges). In a thrilling if wholly unearned twist, Haley teaches her fellow leotards that individuality trumps conformity. But Stick It is written and directed by Bring It On scribe Jessica Bendinger, so really, sass trumps everything.
(Stick It: Peter Iovino)
Genre: Comedy, Sports; Starring: Jeff Bridges, Missy Peregrym, Vanessa Lengies; Director: Jessica Bendinger; Author: Jessica Bendinger; Release Date Wide: 04/28/2006; Runtime (in minutes): 105; MPAA Rating: PG-13; Distributor: Touchstone Pictures
Posted April 19 2006 — 12:00 AM EDT
- 'Dancing with the Stars' taps Alexa and Carlos PenaVega
- Box office preview: 'Straight Outta Compton' set for third weekend at the top
- O.J. Simpson documentaries to air on A&E and LMN
- 'Grandfathered' enlists JoAnna Garcia Swisher
- Things look dark in trailer for Kristen Wiig's new movie 'Nasty Baby'
- Bill Murray earns his 20 percent in 'Rock the Kasbah' trailer
- Daniel Craig's go-to hangover cure is ...
- 'American Horror Story: Hotel' First Look: 11 EW exclusive photos
- 17 photos of people you forgot hung out at the VMAs
- 24 Movies With Great Opening Scenes
- 'Survivor: Cambodia—Second Chance' Cast Photos Revealed!
- Where is the cast of 'Can't Hardly Wait' now?
- Alison & Will, Julianne Hough, Rafael Nadal & More!