A deliriously, defiantly unfocused headrush, Stick It is primarily an exercise in exercise. It’s a sports movie that rather hates its sport gymnastics and mercilessly claws at its hidebound conventions, even as the camera lovingly, lavishly music-videos every vault, every layout, every straining sinew. ”Love the gymnast, hate the gymnastics” seems to be the message. Our very ripped heroine is Haley (Missy Peregrym), a troubled former tumbler well on her way to sanitized Disney delinquency (property damage, black T-shirts) until she’s forced to train under a flinty coach (Jeff Bridges). In a thrilling if wholly unearned twist, Haley teaches her fellow leotards that individuality trumps conformity. But Stick It is written and directed by Bring It On scribe Jessica Bendinger, so really, sass trumps everything.
(Stick It: Peter Iovino)
Genre: Comedy, Sports; Starring: Jeff Bridges, Missy Peregrym, Vanessa Lengies; Director: Jessica Bendinger; Author: Jessica Bendinger; Release Date Wide: 04/28/2006; Runtime (in minutes): 105; MPAA Rating: PG-13; Distributor: Touchstone Pictures
Posted April 19 2006 — 12:00 AM EDT
- Hear Erykah Badu and Andre 3000 team up for 'Hello'
- 'Gods of Egypt' director: 'Our casting choices should have been more diverse'
- Patti LaBelle spends Thanksgiving with pie fan James Wright
- Hear Sia's new single 'One Million Bullets'
- A breakdown of the 13 most absurd moments in the 'Rocky IV' training montages
- Anne Hathaway is pregnant
- New look at 'Batman v Superman' will debut during 'Gotham' fall finale