A deliriously, defiantly unfocused headrush, Stick It is primarily an exercise in exercise. It’s a sports movie that rather hates its sport gymnastics and mercilessly claws at its hidebound conventions, even as the camera lovingly, lavishly music-videos every vault, every layout, every straining sinew. ”Love the gymnast, hate the gymnastics” seems to be the message. Our very ripped heroine is Haley (Missy Peregrym), a troubled former tumbler well on her way to sanitized Disney delinquency (property damage, black T-shirts) until she’s forced to train under a flinty coach (Jeff Bridges). In a thrilling if wholly unearned twist, Haley teaches her fellow leotards that individuality trumps conformity. But Stick It is written and directed by Bring It On scribe Jessica Bendinger, so really, sass trumps everything.
(Stick It: Peter Iovino)
Genre: Comedy, Sports; Starring: Jeff Bridges, Missy Peregrym, Vanessa Lengies; Director: Jessica Bendinger; Author: Jessica Bendinger; Release Date Wide: 04/28/2006; Runtime (in minutes): 105; MPAA Rating: PG-13; Distributor: Touchstone Pictures
Posted April 19 2006 — 12:00 AM EDT
- Young Thug wants to call his next mixtape 'Carter V'
- Former Girls frontman Christopher Owens drops new album
- 'Pawn Sacrifice' trailer shows Bobby Fischer's greatest struggles
- Mariah and me(?!) on stage in Las Vegas: Tweet dreams are made of this...
- Ask the Movie Critic: Chris Nashawaty wants to hear from YOU
- 'Marriage Boot Camp' welcomes... Jeff and Jordan from 'Big Brother?'
- U2 manager Dennis Sheehan dies
- Chris Pratt makes a splash: EW Summer Must List photos
- Bill Paxton reminisces about 15 key roles
- 15 scary movies we saw as kids... that still haunt our nightmares
- Summer Movie Preview: 10 must-see documentaries
- 'Fear the Walking Dead' First Look: 7 photos from the set
- Lady Gaga, The Rock, Demi Lovato & More!