Don’t let the Carl Hiaasen pedigree fool you: Hoot is an Afterschool Special too crummy to give a hoot about. Roy (Logan Lerman), the new kid at a Florida middle school, tries to save a clearing of owls from a corporate meanie who wants to pave paradise and put up a pancake house. Incidentally, are we meant to read anything into the way that Roy befriends a girl soccer hellion (Brie Larson) — the Kristy McNichol role — yet shows far more interest in the local runaway, a barefoot sprinter (Cody Linley) styled to look like Christopher Atkins in The Blue Lagoon? Just asking.
(Hoot: Glenn Watson)
Genre: Kids and Family, Comedy; Starring: Logan Lerman, Cody Linley, Brie Larson, Luke Wilson; Director: Wil Shriner; Author: Wil Shriner; Release Date Wide: 05/05/2006; Runtime (in minutes): 90; MPAA Rating: PG; Distributor: New Line Cinema
Posted May 3 2006 — 12:00 AM EDT
- Hear Adele's '25' as a four-minute mash-up because you deserve it
- Chris Martin debuts new Coldplay track 'Everglow,' feat. Gwyneth Paltrow
- What EW staffers are thankful for this year
- Big Apple Circus performer juggles at 'Hamilton' pre-show
- The year in Shondaland: A look back with Shonda Rhimes & her leading ladies
- Colbert tackles Thanksgiving controversies on 'The Late Show'
- New 'Star Wars' spot returns us to last year's teaser