Lost, lonely, longing 16-year-old sexpot or irritating indie-movie crazy girl? In Somersault, a big prizewinner in writer-director Cate Shortland’s native Australia, Heidi (Abbie Cornish) is both. She runs away from home after getting caught fooling around with her mother’s boyfriend, takes a bus to a ski resort on the road to nowhere, and proceeds to seek out other wrong men in other beds, sorting out the differences between love and sexual desire as she tumbles. The character can be a dolt, but Cornish is a marvel, exuding a reckless hunger and prowling with a sexuality of potent directness.
Genre: Drama; Starring: Abbie Cornish, Sam Worthington, Lynette Curran; Director: Cate Shortland; Author: Cate Shortland; Release Date Limited: 04/21/2006; Runtime (in minutes): 106; MPAA Rating: Unrated; Distributor: Magnolia Pictures
Posted May 3 2006 — 12:00 AM EDT
- Anna Faris to release memoir, 'Unqualified'
- Andrew Garfield goes to war without a gun in 'Hacksaw Ridge' trailer
- JoJo announces first full-length album in 10 years
- 'The Walking Dead': Ezekiel speaks! Khary Payton gives first interview
- John Oliver responds to 'Gilmore Girls' teaser
- Venice Film Festival 2016 lineup includes Natalie Portman's 'Jackie'
- Cara Delevingne and Dave Franco give James Corden new eyebrows
- 'Alice in Wonderland': Witticisms and Wisdom From the Disney Classic
- 'John Tucker Must Die': Where Are They Now?
- 15 Captivating International Crime Thrillers
- 'Planet of the Apes': See the Famous Faces Behind the Makeup
- Toronto Film Festival 2016: See First Look Images From This Year's Lineup
- 'One Tree Hill': Where Are They Now?