Lost, lonely, longing 16-year-old sexpot or irritating indie-movie crazy girl? In Somersault, a big prizewinner in writer-director Cate Shortland’s native Australia, Heidi (Abbie Cornish) is both. She runs away from home after getting caught fooling around with her mother’s boyfriend, takes a bus to a ski resort on the road to nowhere, and proceeds to seek out other wrong men in other beds, sorting out the differences between love and sexual desire as she tumbles. The character can be a dolt, but Cornish is a marvel, exuding a reckless hunger and prowling with a sexuality of potent directness.
Genre: Drama; Starring: Abbie Cornish, Sam Worthington, Lynette Curran; Director: Cate Shortland; Author: Cate Shortland; Release Date Limited: 04/21/2006; Runtime (in minutes): 106; MPAA Rating: Unrated; Distributor: Magnolia Pictures
Posted May 3 2006 — 12:00 AM EDT
- Alison Brie joins Jenji Kohan's all-female wrestling series 'G.L.O.W.'
- Riz Ahmed on how 'The Night Of' captured the current zeitgeist
- Rudy Giuliani slams Beyoncé 'I saved more black lives' than her
- Jay Z, Beyoncé, Kanye West, Kim Kardashian hung out after the VMAs
- Britney Spears wants to collaborate with Justin Timberlake
- Lauren Conrad joins 'Laguna Beach' stars for Dieter Schmitz's wedding
- Ariana Grande and Nicki Minaj get sweaty in 'Side to Side' video