Lost, lonely, longing 16-year-old sexpot or irritating indie-movie crazy girl? In Somersault, a big prizewinner in writer-director Cate Shortland’s native Australia, Heidi (Abbie Cornish) is both. She runs away from home after getting caught fooling around with her mother’s boyfriend, takes a bus to a ski resort on the road to nowhere, and proceeds to seek out other wrong men in other beds, sorting out the differences between love and sexual desire as she tumbles. The character can be a dolt, but Cornish is a marvel, exuding a reckless hunger and prowling with a sexuality of potent directness.
Genre: Drama; Starring: Abbie Cornish, Sam Worthington, Lynette Curran; Director: Cate Shortland; Author: Cate Shortland; Release Date Limited: 04/21/2006; Runtime (in minutes): 106; MPAA Rating: Unrated; Distributor: Magnolia Pictures
Posted May 3 2006 — 12:00 AM EDT
- 'Con Man' panel fulfilled our 'Firefly' dreams at New York Comic Con
- Clark Gregg on whether 'Agents of SHIELD' will ever encounter mutants
- Watch Aladdin and Jasmine reunite for 'A Whole New World'
- New York Comic Con: What we learned from the 'Once Upon a Time' panel
- See Dwayne Johnson's latest post-gym dance moves
- Ava DuVernay, Catherine Hardwicke respond to Hollywood gender discrimination probe
- There will be magazine cover drama in Lifetime's 'Melrose Place' movie