Lost, lonely, longing 16-year-old sexpot or irritating indie-movie crazy girl? In Somersault, a big prizewinner in writer-director Cate Shortland’s native Australia, Heidi (Abbie Cornish) is both. She runs away from home after getting caught fooling around with her mother’s boyfriend, takes a bus to a ski resort on the road to nowhere, and proceeds to seek out other wrong men in other beds, sorting out the differences between love and sexual desire as she tumbles. The character can be a dolt, but Cornish is a marvel, exuding a reckless hunger and prowling with a sexuality of potent directness.
Genre: Drama; Starring: Abbie Cornish, Sam Worthington, Lynette Curran; Director: Cate Shortland; Author: Cate Shortland; Release Date Limited: 04/21/2006; Runtime (in minutes): 106; MPAA Rating: Unrated; Distributor: Magnolia Pictures
Posted May 3 2006 — 12:00 AM EDT
- Amazon orders four seasons of 'Thunderbirds Are Go' with Rosamund Pike
- John Oliver mocks Coldplay's Super Bowl halftime show performance
- See Robin Williams in newly surfaced ‘Mrs. Doubtfire’ deleted scenes
- Alicia Vikander teaches Jimmy Kimmel how to pronounce her name
- Hear HEARTWATCH's infectious new tune 'Never Let You Go' off debut album
- See Sylvester Stallone and Carl Weathers' 'Rocky' reunion
- Nominated for Nothing: 'Diary of a Teenage Girl'