Why do I love “Earthquakes & Sharks”? I think it’s that opening riff, which reminds me simultaneously of Blondie’s “Heart of Glass” and the 3-2-1 Contact theme song? Maybe it’s that I’m sadistic and love songs that mention killer bees and black widows, but more than likely, it’s because I’ve already drowned a few too many Cinco de Mayo margaritas. But seriously, an indie rock song that talks about getting sick from the water in Mexico, the smog and traffic in California, and then rounds things out with a pure-pop key change near the end?! Unheard of! I admit I may need to get out more, but for now Brandtson’s new album Hello, Control (full of even MORE shake-your-ass indie – look at how much fun these peeps are having!) is keeping me muy feliz.
Posted May 5 2006 — 7:29 PM EDT
- Drake releases new album 'Views' on iTunes
- 'Orphan Black' creators talk mystery of Delphine's disappearance
- Bernie Sanders transforms into a perfect George in 'Seinfeld'
- Emilia Clarke, Sam Claflin get smitten in 'Me Before You' trailer
- 'Nice Guys' Ryan Gosling, Russell Crowe go retro in '70s-style trailer
- 'Grey's Anatomy' star reacts to Stephanie's cold move
- Simon Cowell goes Hannibal Lecter in 'America's Got Talent' promo