Why do I love “Earthquakes & Sharks”? I think it’s that opening riff, which reminds me simultaneously of Blondie’s “Heart of Glass” and the 3-2-1 Contact theme song? Maybe it’s that I’m sadistic and love songs that mention killer bees and black widows, but more than likely, it’s because I’ve already drowned a few too many Cinco de Mayo margaritas. But seriously, an indie rock song that talks about getting sick from the water in Mexico, the smog and traffic in California, and then rounds things out with a pure-pop key change near the end?! Unheard of! I admit I may need to get out more, but for now Brandtson’s new album Hello, Control (full of even MORE shake-your-ass indie – look at how much fun these peeps are having!) is keeping me muy feliz.
Posted May 5 2006 — 7:29 PM EDT
- 'Grey's Anatomy' to reveal Jackson-April status in special flashback episode
- Victoria Aveyard on new 'Red Queen' book: 'I feel really happy and evil turning the story on its head'
- Beyoncé once turned down a Coldplay collaboration
- Colin Farrell has 45 days to fall in love in 'The Lobster' trailer
- T.J. Miller reviews Super Bowl ads in Shock Top video
- 'Minority Report' screenwriter Scott Frank talks writing his first novel 'Shaker'
- Veronica Fish joins 'Archie' as regular series artist