Why do I love “Earthquakes & Sharks”? I think it’s that opening riff, which reminds me simultaneously of Blondie’s “Heart of Glass” and the 3-2-1 Contact theme song? Maybe it’s that I’m sadistic and love songs that mention killer bees and black widows, but more than likely, it’s because I’ve already drowned a few too many Cinco de Mayo margaritas. But seriously, an indie rock song that talks about getting sick from the water in Mexico, the smog and traffic in California, and then rounds things out with a pure-pop key change near the end?! Unheard of! I admit I may need to get out more, but for now Brandtson’s new album Hello, Control (full of even MORE shake-your-ass indie – look at how much fun these peeps are having!) is keeping me muy feliz.
Posted May 5 2006 — 7:29 PM EDT
- Jack White's Dead Weather returns with new album
- Henry Cavill: ‘Batman v Superman' an 'expansion' of 'Man of Steel' world
- Inside Amazon's edgy romantic comedy 'Catastrophe'
- Chris Tucker's Netflix stand-up special: Watch new trailer
- 'Legend of Korra' creator previews new 'Threadworlds'
- Patton Oswalt, Paul Reubens and more star in Telltale Games' 'Minecraft: Story Mode'
- Mila Kunis, Ashton Kutcher married
- 'Back to the Future' turns 30: See the cast, then and now
- 'Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice': 6 EW exclusive photos
- Comic-Con 2015 preview: 10 panels we can't wait to see
- 'Seinfeld' faves: Where are they now?
- 14 high school movies that defined their year
- Rumer & Khloé, Usher, Cara Delevingne & More!