Why do I love “Earthquakes & Sharks”? I think it’s that opening riff, which reminds me simultaneously of Blondie’s “Heart of Glass” and the 3-2-1 Contact theme song? Maybe it’s that I’m sadistic and love songs that mention killer bees and black widows, but more than likely, it’s because I’ve already drowned a few too many Cinco de Mayo margaritas. But seriously, an indie rock song that talks about getting sick from the water in Mexico, the smog and traffic in California, and then rounds things out with a pure-pop key change near the end?! Unheard of! I admit I may need to get out more, but for now Brandtson’s new album Hello, Control (full of even MORE shake-your-ass indie – look at how much fun these peeps are having!) is keeping me muy feliz.
Posted May 5 2006 — 7:29 PM EDT
- Spend a day with Ryan Gosling on 'Blade Runner' set for a good cause
- Lethal Weapon ratings edge ahead of Designated Survivor
- 'Survivor': Mari says 'it hurts to see Hannah swayed in that way'
- Idina Menzel on gay Elsa campaign: 'I think it's a wonderful idea'
- 'Supernatural' to channel 'Spinal Tap' for rock 'n' roll-centric episodes
- Sandra Oh returns to ABC — but not on THAT show
- Stephen Colbert praises Elizabeth Warren, slams Wells Fargo CEO