To make her drama about the ritual shunning of widows in India (it’s set against Gandhi’s rise in the ’30s), director Deepa Mehta had to endure the destruction of her sets by Hindu protesters, who burned the filmmaker in effigy. Completing this movie was a heroic act, yet Water, the final chapter in Mehta’s feminist trilogy (Fire, Earth), is, alas, the weakest. Banished to an ashram, the widows are treated like spiritual lepers, but the movie takes the form of a lackluster women’s-prison picture. Will Kalyani (Lisa Ray), who attracts a wealthy suitor (John Abraham), escape her fate? The question would matter more if the two didn’t come off as moonlighting Vogue models, or if Chuyia (Sarala), an 8-year-old ”widow,” were less puppyishly perky.
WaterTo make her drama about the ritual shunning of widows in India (it's set against Gandhi's rise in the '30s), director Deepa Mehta had to endure the...WaterRomance, DramaDeepa MehtaPT114MUnratedTo make her drama about the ritual shunning of widows in India (it's set against Gandhi's rise in the '30s), director Deepa Mehta had to endure the...2006-05-10Seema BiswasFox Searchlight Pictures
Genre: Romance, Drama; Starring: John Abraham, Lisa Ray, Seema Biswas; Director: Deepa Mehta; Author: Deepa Mehta; Runtime (in minutes): 114; MPAA Rating: Unrated; Distributor: Fox Searchlight Pictures
Posted January 17 2015 — 7:41 AM EST
- 'The Messengers' premiere: Heaven or hell?
- Casting Net: Ben Stiller confirms Penelope Cruz will be in 'Zoolander 2'
- 'Billy Lynn's Long Halftime Walk' gets Veteran's Day 2016 release
- Five Broadway tickets to snag before Tony nominations make it impossible
- 'Star Wars': 5 revelations from Carrie Fisher at Celebration Q&A
- 'Batman v Superman' trailer is here; official release by Zack Snyder follows leak
- Never-before-seen passage from Madeleine L'Engle's 'A Wrinkle in Time' found
- 'Orphan Black': So, you wanna date a clone?
- 'Star Wars': 15 behind-the-scenes 'Force Awakens' pics
- Dirty words on TV? 17 faves whose spew is par for the coarse
- TV Style: 3 costume pros on their '70s-'80s-'90s inspirations
- Madonna's Cone Bra turns 25: How this Gaultier lingerie's legacy lingers
- Olivia Wilde, Brad Paisley, Brandy Norwood & More!