How about a Payback’s-a-Bitch double feature with Lady Vengeance and Dead Man’s Shoes? The former’s a stunner; the latter, not so much. Shane Meadows’ latest, high-styled depiction of his British Midlands as a place of extreme actions among dead-zone louts presents Cinderella Man’s galvanizing Paddy Considine (who also co-wrote the screenplay) as a disaffected British soldier who returns home to mess up the thugs who brutalized his mentally handicapped brother. The imagery is exotically grungy and jumbled by flashback, but in the end, the picture’s more pulp than juice.
Genre: Drama; Starring: Paddy Considine, Gary Stretch; Director: Shane Meadows; Author: Paddy Considine, Shane Meadows; Release Date Limited: 05/12/2006; Runtime (in minutes): 86; MPAA Rating: Unrated; Distributor: Magnolia Pictures
Posted May 17 2006 — 12:00 AM EDT
- Ann Coulter slammed at Rob Lowe roast for conservative views
- Listen to Led Zeppelin's Lost 'Sunshine Woman' Track
- Ava DuVernay tweets support for Leslie Jones: 'Stay up, sis'
- Here's why Giancarlo Esposito turned down a Marvel TV role
- 'Jason Bourne' 3-D screenings causing nausea and protests in China
- Olympian auctions off medal to pay young boy's medical bills
- Nicole Scherzinger's Britney Spears impression is 'Crazy' good