It’s difficult deciding which is more nightmarish — Charlie Rankin’s past as an abused kid or his present as an ex-con who owes his jailbird lover one last favor. Rankin himself can’t separate his identity as a hardened criminal from that of a terrified victim, and his ex-porn-star girlfriend is the only one who doesn’t think he’s crazy. In ”the flickering recesses of a hallucinating brain,” Rankin sees himself as a child, imagining ”Little Charlie’s face, corpse-white, dead as a shed fingernail” in the midst of committing a savage crime. A swiftly paced thriller about a hit gone wrong, Matthew F. Jones’ Boot Tracks is also a brooding character study of a man who’s morally compromised — though not entirely soulless.
Boot Tracks It's difficult deciding which is more nightmarish — Charlie Rankin's past as an abused kid or his present as an ex-con who owes his jailbird...Boot TracksMystery and Thriller, FictionMatthew F. Jones It's difficult deciding which is more nightmarish — Charlie Rankin's past as an abused kid or his present as an ex-con who owes his jailbird...2006-05-19Europa Editions
Genre: Mystery and Thriller, Fiction; Author: Matthew F. Jones; Publisher: Europa Editions
Posted May 19 2006 — 12:00 AM EDT
- Prince announces three-day Labor Day party ahead of album release
- ABC Family's 13 Nights of Halloween: Who's joining Harry Potter and Batman?
- Christian Slater weighs in on 'Mr. Robot' twist and season finale
- 'Mr. Robot' finale postmortem: Creator Sam Esmail answers burning questions
- 'iZombie' season 2 trailer teases what (or who) is on the menu for Liv Moore
- Casting Net: Mad Men star Jessica Pare cast in Lovesick
- 'Can't Buy Me Love' star Amanda Peterson's cause of death was an overdose
- All the VMAs 2015 performances graded
- VMAs 2015 Red Carpet: See All the Looks!
- 16 TV characters who stuck around longer than expected
- Behind Lady Gaga's killer look in 'American Horror Story: Hotel'
- 'American Horror Story: Hotel' First Look: 11 EW exclusive photos
- The A List Ladies, Jake Gyllenhaal, Anna & Jane and More!