The plot of Don’t I Know You? seems Law & Order-ready: A 12-year-old boy discovers his dead mother in their NYC apartment; clues are gathered, leads pursued, yet the killer roams free. Karen Shepard’s investigation unfolds obliquely — jumping forward 16 months, then more than a decade, then flashing back to four years before the murder — concentrating on seemingly extraneous characters. Her cunningly crafted jigsaw puzzle is colored by vibrant prose (”The sky was the color of sour milk. The backs of his thighs were sweating”) and capped by a you’ll-never-guess conclusion that’s not the least bit gimmicky. You might want to read it all over again just to follow Shepard’s beautifully subtle tracks.
Don't I Know You? The plot of Don't I Know You? seems Law & Order-ready: A 12-year-old boy discovers his dead mother in their NYC apartment;...Don't I Know You?Fiction, Mystery and ThrillerKaren Shepard The plot of Don't I Know You? seems Law & Order-ready: A 12-year-old boy discovers his dead mother in their NYC apartment;...2006-05-19William Morrow
Genre: Fiction, Mystery and Thriller; Author: Karen Shepard; Publisher: William Morrow
Posted May 19 2006 — 12:00 AM EDT
- Behind the scenes of Ellie Goulding's empowering third album
- 'AHS' star shines in exclusive 'My All American' trailer
- Spoilers: Alex Kingston returns to 'Doctor Who'
- Jeff Probst debates the use of challenge advantages on 'Survivor'
- 'DWTS': And the fall 2015 celebrities are ...
- Joanna Newsom reveals new record is 'different from anything I did in the past
- Kevin Gates charged with battery after kicking female fan
- All the VMAs 2015 performances graded
- VMAs 2015 Red Carpet: See All the Looks!
- 16 TV characters who stuck around longer than expected
- Behind Lady Gaga's killer look in 'American Horror Story: Hotel'
- 'American Horror Story: Hotel' First Look: 11 EW exclusive photos
- Diane Kruger, Padma Lakshmi, Elle Fanning & More!