The plot of Don’t I Know You? seems Law & Order-ready: A 12-year-old boy discovers his dead mother in their NYC apartment; clues are gathered, leads pursued, yet the killer roams free. Karen Shepard’s investigation unfolds obliquely — jumping forward 16 months, then more than a decade, then flashing back to four years before the murder — concentrating on seemingly extraneous characters. Her cunningly crafted jigsaw puzzle is colored by vibrant prose (”The sky was the color of sour milk. The backs of his thighs were sweating”) and capped by a you’ll-never-guess conclusion that’s not the least bit gimmicky. You might want to read it all over again just to follow Shepard’s beautifully subtle tracks.
Don't I Know You? The plot of Don't I Know You? seems Law & Order-ready: A 12-year-old boy discovers his dead mother in their NYC apartment;...Don't I Know You?Fiction, Mystery and ThrillerKaren Shepard The plot of Don't I Know You? seems Law & Order-ready: A 12-year-old boy discovers his dead mother in their NYC apartment;...2006-05-19William Morrow
Genre: Fiction, Mystery and Thriller; Author: Karen Shepard; Publisher: William Morrow
Posted January 17 2015 — 7:41 AM EST
- 'Last Man on Earth': Will Forte on THAT season finale twist
- 'Game of Thrones' actor explains his surprisingly early exit
- 'Suicide Squad': First Look at rogues' gallery in costume
- 'Game of Thrones': Carice van Houten on nudity, Jon Snow
- 'Star Wars': 'Force Awakens' toys in Sept.
- J.K. Rowling sorry for a 'Potter' death
- Kanye West announces new album title
- 'Pitch Perfect 2' costume designer's fashion notes
- Mourning after: Best TV episodes after a key character died
- NSYNC hair, revisited on 'It's Gonna Be May' meme day
- 'Outlander' sweats details so Lallybroch feels like home
- 'Grey's Anatomy': How 10 characters/actors exited the show
- Halle Berry & Goldie Hawn, Plus Diddy, Melissa McCarthy & More!