In the new Chili Peppers video, ”Dani California,” the group gleefully references bands like the Beatles, Parliament, and the Sex Pistols. Which is entertaining and all…until their nod to a sullen Kurt Cobain — with a candle extinguishing before him — suddenly puts a damper on the festivities. And we weren’t the only ones who noticed. ”It was a big concern of [Chili Peppers bassist] Flea’s,” says the clip’s director Tony Kaye (American History X) . ”Flea asked [ex-Nirvana drummer] Dave Grohl if it was okay. Dave said yeah?Nirvana was about having fun.” We wouldn’t call this homage ”fun,” but it certainly did strike a chord.
Posted May 19 2006 — 12:00 AM EDT
- Exclusive 'A Christmas Horror Story' trailer promises shocks, scares, and Shatner
- See Simon Cowell get emotional during an 'X Factor' audition
- Box office preview: Sleepy Labor Day to quietly close out the summer
- 'Mr. Robot' had a perfect season on Rotten Tomatoes
- First Look: See Rob Riggle as 'Gator Dan' on 'Fresh Off the Boat'
- Netflix renews 'Narcos' for season 2
- Eddie Redmayne: 'The Danish Girl' was 'an extraordinary experience'
- 8 most polarizing celebrities in 'Dancing With the Stars' history
- All the VMAs 2015 performances graded
- VMAs 2015 Red Carpet: See All the Looks!
- 16 TV characters who stuck around longer than expected
- Behind Lady Gaga's killer look in 'American Horror Story: Hotel'
- Heidi & Howie, Chris Evans, Kelly Rowland and More!