In the new Chili Peppers video, ”Dani California,” the group gleefully references bands like the Beatles, Parliament, and the Sex Pistols. Which is entertaining and all…until their nod to a sullen Kurt Cobain — with a candle extinguishing before him — suddenly puts a damper on the festivities. And we weren’t the only ones who noticed. ”It was a big concern of [Chili Peppers bassist] Flea’s,” says the clip’s director Tony Kaye (American History X) . ”Flea asked [ex-Nirvana drummer] Dave Grohl if it was okay. Dave said yeah?Nirvana was about having fun.” We wouldn’t call this homage ”fun,” but it certainly did strike a chord.
Posted May 19 2006 — 12:00 AM EDT
- 'SNL' preview: What to expect from Dakota Johnson and Alabama Shakes?
- 'Parks and Rec': On set for the final day
- John Green's 'Alaska' scriptwriters set
- Craig Ferguson set for ABC comedy pilot
- Will Smith back in 'Focus': What critics said
- 'The Red Road's Jason Momoa on season 2 and when we can expect Aquaman in action
- Look, but don't retouch? What our female celeb photo fascination says about us
- 20 TV series that nailed it with their very first scenes
- 'Last Man on Earth' guys salute inspirations
- 'Empire': New EW cast portraits and behind-the-scenes photos
- 'Dancing with the Stars': Sizing up the season 20 cast
- 'Parks' 2017: What we embrace/dread in world of tomorrow
- Susan Sarandon, Prince William and More!