In the new Chili Peppers video, ”Dani California,” the group gleefully references bands like the Beatles, Parliament, and the Sex Pistols. Which is entertaining and all…until their nod to a sullen Kurt Cobain — with a candle extinguishing before him — suddenly puts a damper on the festivities. And we weren’t the only ones who noticed. ”It was a big concern of [Chili Peppers bassist] Flea’s,” says the clip’s director Tony Kaye (American History X) . ”Flea asked [ex-Nirvana drummer] Dave Grohl if it was okay. Dave said yeah?Nirvana was about having fun.” We wouldn’t call this homage ”fun,” but it certainly did strike a chord.
Posted May 19 2006 — 12:00 AM EDT
- Game of Thrones producer on the sudden return of that character
- Madonna fires back at BET after Twitter diss: 'I will shade you'
- Here's how Mindy Kaling pranked B.J. Novak on 'The Office'
- Edward Sharpe and the Magnetic Zeros host vow renewal at N.C. show
- Hugh Jackman congratulates class of 2016 with graduation throwback pic
- 'Kung Fury' director teases a sequel
- Stan Lee weighs in on the 'Captain America' Hydra twist
- The Best Summer Vacations in Movies
- See Exclusive Behind-the-Scenes Photos From Disney Channel Original Movies
- Getting 'Close' With Nick Jonas: See EW's Exclusive Cover Shoot
- Carpool Karaoke: James Corden's Most-Watched Videos
- The Most Famous Swimsuit Scenes From TV and Movies
- See All of Entertainment Weekly's X-Men Covers