In the new Chili Peppers video, ”Dani California,” the group gleefully references bands like the Beatles, Parliament, and the Sex Pistols. Which is entertaining and all…until their nod to a sullen Kurt Cobain — with a candle extinguishing before him — suddenly puts a damper on the festivities. And we weren’t the only ones who noticed. ”It was a big concern of [Chili Peppers bassist] Flea’s,” says the clip’s director Tony Kaye (American History X) . ”Flea asked [ex-Nirvana drummer] Dave Grohl if it was okay. Dave said yeah?Nirvana was about having fun.” We wouldn’t call this homage ”fun,” but it certainly did strike a chord.
Posted January 17 2015 — 7:41 AM EST
- Cynthia Lennon dies at 75
- Holly Taylor of 'The Americans' talks Paige while playing 'Super Smash Bros.'
- 'Happy Endings' creator David Caspe explains April Fools' countdown clock
- 'The View' eyes Monica Lewinsky as a guest co-host
- Lucy Lawless says the magic of 'Salem' is nothing like 'Harry Potter'
- See how Broadway's screwball hit 'On the Twentieth Century' brought sets and costumes to life
- 'Daily Show': Aasif Mandvi on Trevor Noah