In the new Chili Peppers video, ”Dani California,” the group gleefully references bands like the Beatles, Parliament, and the Sex Pistols. Which is entertaining and all…until their nod to a sullen Kurt Cobain — with a candle extinguishing before him — suddenly puts a damper on the festivities. And we weren’t the only ones who noticed. ”It was a big concern of [Chili Peppers bassist] Flea’s,” says the clip’s director Tony Kaye (American History X) . ”Flea asked [ex-Nirvana drummer] Dave Grohl if it was okay. Dave said yeah?Nirvana was about having fun.” We wouldn’t call this homage ”fun,” but it certainly did strike a chord.
Posted May 19 2006 — 12:00 AM EDT
- Kevin Hart and Conan O'Brien trade insults in hostile workout session
- Bruce Springsteen signs absence note for fifth grader
- The Weeknd shares energetic new track, 'False Alarm'
- Does Woody Allen’s 'Crisis in Six Scenes' live up to expectations?
- 'Superstore': Lauren Ash talks 'Dog Whisperer'
- 'Westworld' showrunners on AI's threat and promise: 'This is imminent'
- President Obama tries the splits with the Final Five