In the new Chili Peppers video, ”Dani California,” the group gleefully references bands like the Beatles, Parliament, and the Sex Pistols. Which is entertaining and all…until their nod to a sullen Kurt Cobain — with a candle extinguishing before him — suddenly puts a damper on the festivities. And we weren’t the only ones who noticed. ”It was a big concern of [Chili Peppers bassist] Flea’s,” says the clip’s director Tony Kaye (American History X) . ”Flea asked [ex-Nirvana drummer] Dave Grohl if it was okay. Dave said yeah?Nirvana was about having fun.” We wouldn’t call this homage ”fun,” but it certainly did strike a chord.
Posted January 17 2015 — 7:41 AM EST
- Hot Chocolate singer Errol Brown dies at age 71
- See 'It Follows' star Maika Monroe in 'Echoes of War'
- 'Game of Thrones': Which actor is also the best singer?
- Adele dressed up like George Michael on her birthday
- Charlize Theron reveals all about her ultimate female road warrior in 'Mad Max'
- Phil Rudd's AC/DC bandmates haven't contacted him since his criminal charges
- 'Charlie Hebdo' editors get standing ovation at PEN Gala
- 'Pitch Perfect 2' costume designer's fashion notes
- Mourning after: Best TV episodes after a key character died
- NSYNC hair, revisited on 'It's Gonna Be May' meme day
- 'Outlander' sweats details so Lallybroch feels like home
- 'Grey's Anatomy': How 10 characters/actors exited the show
- Chrissy & John, Reese Witherspoon, Charles Esten & More!