In the new Chili Peppers video, ”Dani California,” the group gleefully references bands like the Beatles, Parliament, and the Sex Pistols. Which is entertaining and all…until their nod to a sullen Kurt Cobain — with a candle extinguishing before him — suddenly puts a damper on the festivities. And we weren’t the only ones who noticed. ”It was a big concern of [Chili Peppers bassist] Flea’s,” says the clip’s director Tony Kaye (American History X) . ”Flea asked [ex-Nirvana drummer] Dave Grohl if it was okay. Dave said yeah?Nirvana was about having fun.” We wouldn’t call this homage ”fun,” but it certainly did strike a chord.
Posted May 19 2006 — 12:00 AM EDT
- Penelope Cruz showcases her curves in 'Zoolander 2's international trailer
- EXCLUSIVE VIDEO: The Secrets of Rey's 'Star Wars' speeder
- Behind the scenes of Owen Wilson and Justin Theroux's 'Zoolander' dance fight
- Carrie Fisher was told to lose weight for 'Star Wars: The Force Awakens'
- Porn site drops James Deen following sexual assault allegations
- Jamie and Claire vow to change the past in 'Outlander' season 2 trailer
- See Candis Cayne on 'Young and the Restless' (and the famous friend she brought along)