Harlan County, USA, Barbara Kopple’s Oscar-winning documentary sets up camp on the picket lines with the thick-skinned coal miners of Harlan County, Ky., and their tough-as-nails wives. They weather internal strife, union politics, and company intimidation that harks back to the 1930s (when violent strikebreaking tactics inspired the nickname ”Bloody Harlan”), but their resolve runs as deep as a mile-long shaft. EXTRAS include an interview with singer Hazel Dickens, whose high-lonesome ballads give the movie its soul, and a making-of in which Kopple recalls fending off hot-tempered scabs with her boom mike.
Harlan County, USA Harlan County, USA, Barbara Kopple's Oscar-winning documentary sets up camp on the picket lines with the thick-skinned coal miners of...Harlan County, USADocumentaryUnrated Harlan County, USA, Barbara Kopple's Oscar-winning documentary sets up camp on the picket lines with the thick-skinned coal miners of...2006-05-19
Genre: Documentary; Director: Barbara Kopple; MPAA Rating: Unrated
Posted May 19 2006 — 12:00 AM EDT
- 'The Big Bang Theory' shocker: Bernadette's big news!
- Here are all the featured artists on Kanye West's new album
- 'Deadpool' screenwriters 'trying to get a jump on' sequel
- Martin Shkreli wants to be the sole owner of Kanye West's new album
- See a preview of Kanye West's videogame, about his mother going to heaven
- Box office preview: 'Deadpool' to demolish 'Zoolander 2,' 'How To Be Single'
- Kanye West raps that he 'might still have sex' with Taylor Swift
- Check out the new Maz Kanata 'Star Wars' action figure
- Burt Reynolds Through the Years
- 'The Walking Dead’: Exclusive EW Portraits
- Exclusive Look at 'The Walking Dead' Midseason Return
- 30 Exclusive First Look Photos at the New Wizarding World of Harry Potter
- This Is What the Grammys Looked Like in 1996