Give Tyler Perry credit for half an innovative sitcom. The writer-actor created (but doesn’t appear in) House of Payne, a series with a bleak premise about a fireman (Allen Payne) and his two kids living with his parents after his drug-addicted wife burns down their house. It’s tough to balance humor with these darker themes, and in this first batch of episodes, Perry occasionally pulls it off — but not without annoying TV moppets, a neighbor channeling Blanche Devereaux, and a grating laugh track. When the show returns in the fall, Perry should unleash Madea on the Payne household. They could use the laugh.
House of Payne Give Tyler Perry credit for half an innovative sitcom. The writer-actor created (but doesn't appear in) House of Payne, a series with...House of PayneComedy Give Tyler Perry credit for half an innovative sitcom. The writer-actor created (but doesn't appear in) House of Payne, a series with...2006-05-19
Genre: Comedy; Broadcaster: PBS; Status: In Season
Posted May 19 2006 — 12:00 AM EDT
- 'Fresh Off the Boat' scores full season order
- Sarah Silverman opens up about battling depression
- Kate Winslet to star as famed muse and photographer Lee Miller
- See the first teaser for the Jesse Owens biopic
- Vin Diesel breaks free of his chains in new 'Last Witch Hunter' clip
- What's the best Halloween movie? 'Hatchet' director Adam Green says...
- Jennifer Lawrence departs 'The Rosie Project'
- 12 Instagram Photos of Pitbull Hanging Out with Celebrities
- 25 Unforgettable Dresses From the Past 25 Years
- Box Office Flops: 19 Notorious Opening Weekends
- EW's 25 Best Movies in 25 Years
- EW Reunions: Bonus portraits of your favorite TV and movie casts
- 'The Walking Dead': 15 Exclusive Storyboard Illustrations From Season 6