On It’s Never Been Like That, their third studio album, France’s Phoenix once again give the lie to those who contend the French are incapable of producing rock music of lasting value. Or do they? There’s no denying the band’s melodically potent, blithe guitar-pop goes down easy, or that songs like ”Sometimes in the Fall” have a seductive charm that keeps you coming back to them. And few bands of any nationality are capable of transforming a seeming throwaway instrumental like ”North” into something both artful and compelling. Still, one wonders if the qualities that make Phoenix appealing — breeziness, insouciance — will ultimately translate into enduring music. Check with us in another 10 years or so.
It's Never Been Like That On It's Never Been Like That, their third studio album, France's Phoenix once again give the lie to those who contend the French are...It's Never Been Like ThatRock On It's Never Been Like That, their third studio album, France's Phoenix once again give the lie to those who contend the French are...2006-05-19
Genre: Rock; Producer (group): Astralwerks, EMD
Posted May 19 2006 — 12:00 AM EDT
- Casting Net: James Marsden, Rosario Dawson, more lend voices to 'Henchmen'
- From People: Bruce Jenner to pose as woman for 'Vanity Fair' cover
- Judy Greer and Nat Faxon preview 'Married' season 2
- Universal TV to adapt 'The Wicked + The Divine' comic for TV
- I'm not buying Emma Stone as an Asian-American in 'Aloha'
- Iggy Azalea cancels tour
- Marvel contest gives teen girls the chance to attend 'Ant-Man' premiere
- Summer Music Preview 2015: 12 best festivals
- Summer Music Preview 2015: 12 biggest albums
- TV Season Finale Awards: YOUR 2015 winners are...
- Chris Pratt makes a splash: EW Summer Must List photos
- Bill Paxton reminisces about 15 key roles
- Cruel Intentions Reunion, Kim Kardashian, Soleil & Demi and More!