On It’s Never Been Like That, their third studio album, France’s Phoenix once again give the lie to those who contend the French are incapable of producing rock music of lasting value. Or do they? There’s no denying the band’s melodically potent, blithe guitar-pop goes down easy, or that songs like ”Sometimes in the Fall” have a seductive charm that keeps you coming back to them. And few bands of any nationality are capable of transforming a seeming throwaway instrumental like ”North” into something both artful and compelling. Still, one wonders if the qualities that make Phoenix appealing — breeziness, insouciance — will ultimately translate into enduring music. Check with us in another 10 years or so.
It's Never Been Like That On It's Never Been Like That, their third studio album, France's Phoenix once again give the lie to those who contend the French are...It's Never Been Like ThatRock On It's Never Been Like That, their third studio album, France's Phoenix once again give the lie to those who contend the French are...2006-05-19
Genre: Rock; Producer (group): Astralwerks, EMD
Posted May 19 2006 — 12:00 AM EDT
- That time Jon Stewart saved Bill Clinton from an awkward encounter
- Eddie Redmayne stuns in new posters for 'The Danish Girl'
- Walt Disney experts dismiss allegations he was anti-Semitic
- See the latest trailer for 'The Intern'
- John Oliver uses song to explain why Washington, D.C., should become a state
- David Byrne calls for streaming service transparency in op-ed
- Stars We Lost in 2015
- 'The Walking Dead' Season 6: 12 EW exclusive photos
- 10 must-have items from the 'Mad Men' auction: Exclusive
- Stars go back to work! 'Scandal,' 'Arrow,' 'The Good Wife,' more return to set
- Charlie Hunnam and Excalibur glisten in 'King Arthur' first look photos
- Sam Smith, Channing Tatum, Gwyneth Paltrow and More!