On It’s Never Been Like That, their third studio album, France’s Phoenix once again give the lie to those who contend the French are incapable of producing rock music of lasting value. Or do they? There’s no denying the band’s melodically potent, blithe guitar-pop goes down easy, or that songs like ”Sometimes in the Fall” have a seductive charm that keeps you coming back to them. And few bands of any nationality are capable of transforming a seeming throwaway instrumental like ”North” into something both artful and compelling. Still, one wonders if the qualities that make Phoenix appealing — breeziness, insouciance — will ultimately translate into enduring music. Check with us in another 10 years or so.
It's Never Been Like That On It's Never Been Like That, their third studio album, France's Phoenix once again give the lie to those who contend the French are...It's Never Been Like ThatRock On It's Never Been Like That, their third studio album, France's Phoenix once again give the lie to those who contend the French are...2006-05-19
Genre: Rock; Producer (group): Astralwerks, EMD
Posted January 17 2015 — 7:41 AM EST
- Adrianne Palicki talks 'Agents of SHIELD' and Bobbi: 'a really interesting struggle for her'
- 'Justified': Jere Burns on Mikey's loyalty and THAT scene
- 'Being Mary Jane' director on portraying racism on TV
- 'Finding Carter' returns with its best hour yet
- 'Cougar Town' series finale: How the cul-de-sac crew said goodbye
- Casting Net: Hugh Jackman in 'Apostle Paul,' Stephen Amell in 'TMNT 2'
- Joni Mitchell hospitalized
- Woe-woe-woe: 23 signature sad songs of the past 20 years
- Jailbird watching: 13 memorable movie prisoners
- Will Ferrell's 15 greatest movie creations
- Julia Louis-Dreyfus in full bloom: New EW portraits
- 'Grey's Anatomy': 10 years, 20 defining moments
- Alicia, Nicki & Bey, Brooke Shields, Helen & Katie and More!