On It’s Never Been Like That, their third studio album, France’s Phoenix once again give the lie to those who contend the French are incapable of producing rock music of lasting value. Or do they? There’s no denying the band’s melodically potent, blithe guitar-pop goes down easy, or that songs like ”Sometimes in the Fall” have a seductive charm that keeps you coming back to them. And few bands of any nationality are capable of transforming a seeming throwaway instrumental like ”North” into something both artful and compelling. Still, one wonders if the qualities that make Phoenix appealing — breeziness, insouciance — will ultimately translate into enduring music. Check with us in another 10 years or so.
It's Never Been Like That On It's Never Been Like That, their third studio album, France's Phoenix once again give the lie to those who contend the French are...It's Never Been Like ThatRock On It's Never Been Like That, their third studio album, France's Phoenix once again give the lie to those who contend the French are...2006-05-19
Genre: Rock; Producer (group): Astralwerks, EMD
Posted May 19 2006 — 12:00 AM EDT
- 'The Mummy': Tom Cruise, Annabelle Wallis pose for set photo
- 'Fast and Furious' cast congratulates Vin Diesel on Facebook milestone
- 'Teen Wolf' star Tyler Posey apologizes for 'Gay Street' Snapchat
- 'Harry Potter and the Cursed Child': Go inside the opening gala
- J.K. Rowling meets 'Harry Potter and the Cursed Child' cast in photo
- 'Fast and Furious 8': Dwayne Johnson dives for cover in new set video
- Kanye West on Apple's talks with Tidal: 'Let the kids have the music'