I loved The Thorn Birds and some of Colleen McCullough’s Roman epics, so I was eager to pick up her latest, a serial-killer thriller set at a very Yale-like Ivy League college in Holloman, Conn. When the first body part is found in a university lab’s refrigerator, Lieut. Carmine Delmonico is put on the case. Despite his careful casework, the killer eludes him, leaving behind so few clues that Delmonico begins to think of him as ”the Ghost.” Yet for all McCullough’s skills — savvy plotting, great dialogue — On, Off just doesn’t ring true, and that’s because Delmonico is too familiar, even bland, to work as the main character. There’s no question: McCullough can write. But maybe she should stick to historical fiction.
On, Off I loved The Thorn Birds and some of Colleen McCullough's Roman epics, so I was eager to pick up her latest, a serial-killer thriller set at a...On, OffMystery and Thriller, FictionColleen Mccullough I loved The Thorn Birds and some of Colleen McCullough's Roman epics, so I was eager to pick up her latest, a serial-killer thriller set at a...2006-05-19Simon & Schuster
Genre: Mystery and Thriller, Fiction; Author: Colleen Mccullough; Publisher: Simon & Schuster
Posted May 19 2006 — 12:00 AM EDT
- A$AP Rocky's 'At.Long.Last.A$AP' to drop at midnight
- Even Taylor Swift's mom thought it was 'Starbucks lovers'
- Two of B.B. King's daughters allege father was poisoned by employees
- Hear Icona Pop's new single 'Emergency'
- 'It' on hold; director Cary Fukunaga exits
- 'Jurassic World' director Colin Trevorrow dishes on deadly new dino Indominus Rex
- Drake: 'Madonna' out, 'Rihanna' in?
- 15 scary movies we saw as kids... that still haunt our nightmares
- Summer Movie Preview: 10 must-see documentaries
- 'Fear the Walking Dead' First Look: 7 photos from the set
- Cannes 2015: What's buzzing in film and fashion
- 'Survivor': Meet 20 alums you picked for a 'Second Chance'
- Christina & Matt, Kendall Jenner, Jordin Sparks & More!