I loved The Thorn Birds and some of Colleen McCullough’s Roman epics, so I was eager to pick up her latest, a serial-killer thriller set at a very Yale-like Ivy League college in Holloman, Conn. When the first body part is found in a university lab’s refrigerator, Lieut. Carmine Delmonico is put on the case. Despite his careful casework, the killer eludes him, leaving behind so few clues that Delmonico begins to think of him as ”the Ghost.” Yet for all McCullough’s skills — savvy plotting, great dialogue — On, Off just doesn’t ring true, and that’s because Delmonico is too familiar, even bland, to work as the main character. There’s no question: McCullough can write. But maybe she should stick to historical fiction.
On, Off I loved The Thorn Birds and some of Colleen McCullough's Roman epics, so I was eager to pick up her latest, a serial-killer thriller set at a...On, OffMystery and Thriller, FictionColleen Mccullough I loved The Thorn Birds and some of Colleen McCullough's Roman epics, so I was eager to pick up her latest, a serial-killer thriller set at a...2006-05-19Simon & Schuster
Genre: Mystery and Thriller, Fiction; Author: Colleen Mccullough; Publisher: Simon & Schuster
Posted May 19 2006 — 12:00 AM EDT
- See Jessica Simpson and Tracee Ellis Ross' glamorous 'sister' photo
- Kanye West to perform '808s & Heartbreak' in full at Hollywood Bowl
- 5 shows to watch now that 'Hannibal' is over
- Taylor Swift and Avril Lavigne performed 'Complicated' on 1989 tour
- 'Survivor' players on the most shameless thing they did for fan votes
- 'Hannibal' music supervisor on working with Siouxsie Sioux for the finale's song
- Behind Lady Gaga's killer look in 'American Horror Story: Hotel'
- 'American Horror Story: Hotel' First Look: 11 EW exclusive photos
- 17 photos of people you forgot hung out at the VMAs
- 24 Movies With Great Opening Scenes
- 'Survivor: Cambodia—Second Chance' Cast Photos Revealed!
- Demi Lovato, Nicki Minaj, Bill Murray, Bruce Willis and More!