David Goodwillie has found an innovative cure for writer’s block: a memoir, Good Idea, about all the things he did instead of actually writing. Post-college, he delayed his literary dreams to work a series of ’90s-era ”weird niche jobs”: private investigator, sports memorabilia expert, Internet mogul. Off-hours were filled with hazy nights, serial girlfriends, and crushing self-doubt. His urban observations can be shopworn — except when Goodwillie, at a fancy restaurant with his father, must disguise a cocaine-induced nosebleed. But Goodwillie is a natural yarn spinner, honest about the vacuity of his temp endeavors. Now he has no more excuses: Will he finally get around to writing some fiction?
Seemed Like a Good Idea at the Time David Goodwillie has found an innovative cure for writer's block: a memoir, Good Idea, about all the things he did instead of actually...Seemed Like a Good Idea at the TimeNonfictionDavid Goodwillie David Goodwillie has found an innovative cure for writer's block: a memoir, Good Idea, about all the things he did instead of actually...2006-05-19Algonquin Books
Genre: Nonfiction; Author: David Goodwillie; Publisher: Algonquin Books
Posted May 19 2006 — 12:00 AM EDT
- Joseph Gordon-Levitt blazes through aptitude test in 'Snowden' clip
- Jon Favreau to direct Seth MacFarlane's space-set comedic drama 'Orville'
- Ariana Grande, Nicki Minaj are reuniting for another VMAs performance
- VMAs: DJ Khaled, Key and Peele, Jay Pharoah to cover show in lieu of host
- Christoph Waltz in talks for James Cameron's 'Alita: Battle Angel'
- 'Doctor Strange' recruits 'Community' creator Dan Harmon for script assist
- 'Fuller House': Candace Cameron Bure, NKOTB star recreate adorable photo
- Flashback to the 2001 'Summer Catch' Premiere
- Fall Movie Preview 2016: 'Fantastic Beasts,' 'Rogue One,' and 76 Other Films
- Flashback to the 1996 MTV Video Music Awards
- See All of EW's Fall Movie Preview Covers
- Poppy Awards 2016: Your comedy nominees are...
- Poppy Awards 2016: Your drama nominees are...