And I am telling you I’m so going… to see Dreamgirls when it hits theaters in December, that is. Yeah, I know I’m being unforgivably earnest in my enthusiasm, but how to curb it, what with the way Dreamworks keeps doling out outtakes and backstage scenes from the Bill Condon-helmed version of the Tony-winning musical? The latest ”making-of” footage looks and sounds (mostly) promising, in particular, the gazillion gorgeous costumes and several catchy song snippets. Even better, it looks like the all-star cast is delivering dramatically, too: Former American Idol contestant Jennifer Hudson (center) more than holds her own staring down Oscar winner Jamie Foxx (at left), while Eddie Murphy looks like he’s finally found a role that stretches him beyond his recent run of toddler-skewing comedies. That said, one scene made me a little skittish – that stilted ”are you okay?” exchange between Beyoncé (at right) and J.Hud. Hey, Mr. Condon, if you’re listening, there’s still time for a reshoot. What did you think of the Dreamgirls making-of trailer? And is it on your must-see holiday movie list?
Posted January 18 2015 — 7:47 AM EST
- Kevin Hart to receive Comedic Genius Award at MTV Movie Awards
- Weinstein Company acquires Matthew McConaughey-starring 'Gold'
- David Beckham stars in a new underwear ad... with James Corden?
- Colin Trevorrow to direct 'Book of Henry' following 'Jurassic World' release
- Michelle Obama to appear on 'The Tonight Show'
- Listen to EW's Sirius XM spotlight on the women of comedy, featuring Kristen Schaal
- De La Soul to fund new album via Kickstarter
- Will Ferrell's 15 greatest movie creations
- Julia Louis-Dreyfus in full bloom: New EW portraits
- 'Grey's Anatomy': 10 years, 20 defining moments
- 'Batman v. Superman' character portraits: Like the looks?
- 'American Crime Story' cast: Think each actor looks the part?
- Blake Shelton, Destiny's Child, Claire & Don and More!