Mr. George Sidney — a wonderful director, bless his soul — saw me at a New Year’s Eve party at Las Vegas’ Sands Hotel in 1961. I was barely out of my teens, having a great time doing the twist, and I had the bright red hair. Ahh, dear! He just knew then that he wanted me in Bye Bye Birdie. Our biggest number was ”A Lot of Livin’ to Do.” Oh, my gosh, the adrenaline! We rehearsed that for three weeks and shot it for three days. I don’t think they spend that kind of time now. The dancing — we moved like chickens. I was lip-synching, but I always sang along. It wouldn’t look real if you didn’t. The outfit was a little daring for that time, the stretch capris. I happened to love that color. I think they called it Schiaparelli Pink. It was the exact color of cotton candy.
Posted May 26 2006 — 12:00 AM EDT
- New 'AHS: Hotel' teasers: What do they mean?
- One Direction break six 2016 Guinness World Records
- See an exclusive poster and trailer for thriller 'Partisan'
- 'Scandal's' Huck and Quinn have some dark plans for Gonzo in 'Muppets' teaser
- Bette Midler wants to play Amy Schumer and Jennifer Lawrence’s mom
- El-P on 'Meow the Jewels': 'Let's fight injustice with pure, annoying stupidity'
- Demi Lovato, The Weeknd announced as 'SNL' musical guests
- VMAs 2015 Red Carpet: See All the Looks!
- 16 TV characters who stuck around longer than expected
- Behind Lady Gaga's killer look in 'American Horror Story: Hotel'
- 'American Horror Story: Hotel' First Look: 11 EW exclusive photos
- 17 photos of people you forgot hung out at the VMAs
- Victoria Justice, Laura & Andrew, Rihanna and More!