Those of us in the sighted world may have walked past a blind person and asked, ”How, exactly, do they do it?” Ryan Knighton, a creative-writing teacher whose talent shines on every page of Cockeyed, a feisty, bittersweet memoir, both answers that question and shrugs it off as he describes his 15-year descent into darkness, the result of a rare degenerative eye disease. In the beginning, he simply ignored his troubles (”At night I drove Braille. Didn’t everybody?”). But when everyday living proved too difficult, he found redemption — and a fascinating new way of ”seeing” the world — through the love of his patient girlfriend, Tracy, and a nifty walking cane. Along the way, Knighton explores the fascinating linguistics of blindness, but it’s his penchant for disdaining pity and shame that makes this such a compelling, sturdy read.
Cockeyed Those of us in the sighted world may have walked past a blind person and asked, ''How, exactly, do they do it?'' Ryan Knighton, a creative-writing ...CockeyedNonfictionRyan Knighton Those of us in the sighted world may have walked past a blind person and asked, ''How, exactly, do they do it?'' Ryan Knighton, a creative-writing ...2006-05-26PublicAffairs
Genre: Nonfiction; Author: Ryan Knighton; Publisher: PublicAffairs
Posted January 17 2015 — 7:41 AM EST
- 'Better Call Saul' insider on THAT Jimmy-Chuck shocker
- Casting Net: Emily Blunt, John Krasinski join voice cast of 'Animal Crackers'
- Kevin Hart to receive Comedic Genius Award at MTV Movie Awards
- Weinstein Company acquires Matthew McConaughey-starring 'Gold'
- David Beckham stars in a new underwear ad... with James Corden?
- Colin Trevorrow to direct 'Book of Henry' following 'Jurassic World' release
- Michelle Obama to appear on 'The Tonight Show'
- Will Ferrell's 15 greatest movie creations
- Julia Louis-Dreyfus in full bloom: New EW portraits
- 'Grey's Anatomy': 10 years, 20 defining moments
- 'Batman v. Superman' character portraits: Like the looks?
- 'American Crime Story' cast: Think each actor looks the part?
- Blake Shelton, Destiny's Child, Claire & Don and More!