Let’s raise an aperitif to a seemingly more civilized conflict: World War II. If you’ve grown weary of suicide bombers and the war on terror, there’s no better escape than a book where the bad guys might kill you, but at least they won’t cut your head off on live TV. Carlo Weisz is the titular hack who also helps write an underground anti-Mussolini newspaper. When its editor is assassinated, Weisz must take his place. The Foreign Correspondent by Alan Furst is all rainy Parisian streets and low-key espionage with nary a sense of real danger or anything nearly as ingenious as the backward-rotating windmills in the Hitchcock movie of the same name. Like a wire-service dispatch, it gets the job done and little more.
The Foreign Correspondent Let's raise an aperitif to a seemingly more civilized conflict: World War II. If you've grown weary of suicide bombers and the war on terror, there's...The Foreign CorrespondentMystery and Thriller, FictionAlan Furst Let's raise an aperitif to a seemingly more civilized conflict: World War II. If you've grown weary of suicide bombers and the war on terror, there's...2006-05-26Random House
Genre: Mystery and Thriller, Fiction; Author: Alan Furst; Publisher: Random House
Posted May 26 2006 — 12:00 AM EDT
- Now's your chance to see 'Mad Max: Fury Road' in IMAX theaters
- Obama to honor Stephen King, Sally Field with National Medals of Arts
- Queen Elizabeth is a huge fan of 'Downton Abbey'
- You can binge all of TNT's new show 'Public Morals' — only on Labor Day weekend
- New 'Batman v Superman' pics show Wonder Woman, the Batmobile
- 'Star Wars: Aftermath': Finding Han Solo for a quick galactic run
- Kanye West sends Taylor Swift flowers after the 2015 VMAs
- Force Friday: See Hasbro's 'Star Wars: The Force Awakens' toys
- How three worlds collided for the Shondaland cast shoot: See the exclusive photos
- 8 most polarizing celebrities in 'Dancing With the Stars' history
- All the VMAs 2015 performances graded
- VMAs 2015 Red Carpet: See All the Looks!
- Johnny Depp, Gabrielle Union, Karlie Kloss & More!