Leave it to the French to resurrect the Great White Martial Artist. And in District B13, this Luc Besson-hatched action flick, we get two: Leito (David Belle) and Damien (Cyril Raffaelli), mismatched badasses who have to extract a WMD from a nasty futuristic Parisian ghetto. The big innovation here is that the two nimble leads, stuntmen-turned-stars, are devotees of parkour, a fancy French word for the fluid use of urban environments as jungle gyms. And while the fight scenes do carry a nifty charge, parkour itself isn’t quite revolutionary: Jackie Chan’s been doing the same thing for 20 years.
Genre: Action/Adventure, Comedy, Sci-fi and Fantasy; Starring: David Belle, Cyril Raffaelli; Director: Pierre Morel; Author: Luc Besson, Bibi Naceri; Release Date Wide: 06/02/2006; Runtime (in minutes): 85; MPAA Rating: R; Distributor: Magnolia Pictures
Posted May 31 2006 — 12:00 AM EDT
- The 50 Most Watched Broadcast Shows of 2014-15
- Extreme Fan Club with Chris Pratt -- exclusive video
- EW's definitive ranking of the top 10 'Pac-Man' ghosts
- Funeral for slain New York rapper will be held next week
- What to binge-watch: Memorial Day marathon edition
- Pac-Man turns 35: Looking back on three-plus decades of video games, pop culture, and cereal
- 'Mad Men' finale attracts record audience
- Cannes 2015: What's buzzing in film and fashion (so far)
- 'Survivor': Meet 20 alums you picked for a 'Second Chance'
- Ellie Kemper, more faces of the 2015 Webby Awards
- Summer Music Preview 2015: 10 hottest tours
- Melissa McCarthy: Did you know she was in...?
- George Clooney, Meghan Trainor, Pharrell & Zoë and More!