In the ranks of improbable gymnastics coaches, Nick Nolte falls just below the cartoon version of Mr. T (whose adventures on the parallel bars I suggest you YouTube). Nolte plays ”Socrates,” a magical blue-collar Buddha who gruffly Yodas a college gymnast named Dan Millman (Scott Mechlowicz). The real Millman’s personal-growth classic Way of the Peaceful Warrior is the source for Peaceful Warrior, this self-congratulatory self-help seminar, which plays as high comedy, thanks to Nolte’s slurry sensei. Let’s just say he smells (to the cynic) a little more Tsingtao than Tao.
(Peaceful Warrior: Chuck Zlotnick)
Genre: Drama; Starring: Scott Mechlowicz, Nick Nolte, Amy Smart; Director: Victor Salva; Author: Kevin Bernhardt; Release Date Limited: 06/02/2006; MPAA Rating: PG-13; Distributor: Lions Gate Films
Posted May 31 2006 — 12:00 AM EDT
- Box office preview: 'Don't Breathe' stalks top spot
- Rory Culkin's life becomes a nightmare in trailer for 'Jack Goes Home'
- Denzel Washington circling lead role in Dan Gilroy's 'Inner City'
- Hear Florence + the Machine's 'Wish That You Were Here'
- Ann Coulter, Ralph Macchio added to Rob Lowe roast
- 'Days of Our Lives' star Kassie DePaiva reveals leukemia diagnosis
- Final Five gymnastics team will present at the VMAs