In the ranks of improbable gymnastics coaches, Nick Nolte falls just below the cartoon version of Mr. T (whose adventures on the parallel bars I suggest you YouTube). Nolte plays ”Socrates,” a magical blue-collar Buddha who gruffly Yodas a college gymnast named Dan Millman (Scott Mechlowicz). The real Millman’s personal-growth classic Way of the Peaceful Warrior is the source for Peaceful Warrior, this self-congratulatory self-help seminar, which plays as high comedy, thanks to Nolte’s slurry sensei. Let’s just say he smells (to the cynic) a little more Tsingtao than Tao.
(Peaceful Warrior: Chuck Zlotnick)
Genre: Drama; Starring: Scott Mechlowicz, Nick Nolte, Amy Smart; Director: Victor Salva; Author: Kevin Bernhardt; MPAA Rating: PG-13; Distributor: Lions Gate Films
Posted January 17 2015 — 7:41 AM EST
- 'The Messengers' premiere: Heaven or hell?
- Casting Net: Ben Stiller confirms Penelope Cruz will be in 'Zoolander 2'
- 'Billy Lynn's Long Halftime Walk' gets Veteran's Day 2016 release
- Five Broadway tickets to snag before Tony nominations make it impossible
- 'Star Wars': 5 revelations from Carrie Fisher at Celebration Q&A
- 'Batman v Superman' trailer is here; official release by Zack Snyder follows leak
- Never-before-seen passage from Madeleine L'Engle's 'A Wrinkle in Time' found
- 'Orphan Black': So, you wanna date a clone?
- 'Star Wars': 15 behind-the-scenes 'Force Awakens' pics
- Dirty words on TV? 17 faves whose spew is par for the coarse
- TV Style: 3 costume pros on their '70s-'80s-'90s inspirations
- Madonna's Cone Bra turns 25: How this Gaultier lingerie's legacy lingers
- Naomi Campbell, Jessica & Rosario, the Star Wars Cast & More