In the ranks of improbable gymnastics coaches, Nick Nolte falls just below the cartoon version of Mr. T (whose adventures on the parallel bars I suggest you YouTube). Nolte plays ”Socrates,” a magical blue-collar Buddha who gruffly Yodas a college gymnast named Dan Millman (Scott Mechlowicz). The real Millman’s personal-growth classic Way of the Peaceful Warrior is the source for Peaceful Warrior, this self-congratulatory self-help seminar, which plays as high comedy, thanks to Nolte’s slurry sensei. Let’s just say he smells (to the cynic) a little more Tsingtao than Tao.
(Peaceful Warrior: Chuck Zlotnick)
Genre: Drama; Starring: Scott Mechlowicz, Nick Nolte, Amy Smart; Director: Victor Salva; Author: Kevin Bernhardt; Release Date Limited: 06/02/2006; MPAA Rating: PG-13; Distributor: Lions Gate Films
Posted May 31 2006 — 12:00 AM EDT
- 'The Late Show': Stephen Colbert 'takes it to the streets' for interviews with New Yorkers
- Why David Lynch's 'Eraserhead' is the perfect Halloween movie
- Celebrities pay tribute to late stand-up comedian Kevin Meaney
- Donald Glover's 'Star Wars' casting sparks lively Internet reactions
- GLSEN honors PEOPLE and EW Editorial Director Jess Cagle
- Stephen Colbert pitches 'Bad Hombres' for Donald Trump TV
- Lin-Manuel Miranda live-tweeted commentary for 'Hamilton's America'