A decade ago, the Cali bred AFI was a typical bark-and-lunge hardcore band, but by album No. 4 (1999’s Black Sails in the Sunset), they’d perfected an eerie, metal-edged Cure sound. Their seventh effort, DECEMBERUNDERGROUND is the most melodically acute distillation of that style yet. Despite the relentlessly abject lyrics, massively hooky tracks like ”Love Like Winter” have enough arena-rock appeal to register as instant classics. On the downside: Unless you’re really young and bummed, it’s difficult to fully empathize with such exquisitely crafted misery.
Decemberunderground A decade ago, the Cali bred AFI was a typical bark-and-lunge hardcore band, but by album No. 4 (1999's Black Sails in the Sunset), they'd ...DecemberundergroundRock A decade ago, the Cali bred AFI was a typical bark-and-lunge hardcore band, but by album No. 4 (1999's Black Sails in the Sunset), they'd ...2006-06-05
(AFI: James Minchin)
Genre: Rock; Producer (group): Interscope
Posted June 5 2006 — 12:00 AM EDT
- 'Can't Buy Me Love' star Amanda Peterson's cause of death was an overdose
- Sony reaches settlement in hacking lawsuits
- Stephen Colbert counters Jeb Bush's 'Late Show' raffle with his own contest
- On the set of 'American Horror Story: Hotel': A foursome with Lady Gaga and Matt Bomer
- Steven Spielberg’s DreamWorks could leave Disney next year
- 'Jack Reacher 2' starring Tom Cruise gets a release date
- Stan Lee says 'Fantastic Four' flopped because he didn’t have a cameo
- All the VMAs 2015 performances graded
- VMAs 2015 Red Carpet: See All the Looks!
- 16 TV characters who stuck around longer than expected
- Behind Lady Gaga's killer look in 'American Horror Story: Hotel'
- 'American Horror Story: Hotel' First Look: 11 EW exclusive photos
- The A List Ladies, Jake Gyllenhaal, Anna & Jane and More!