More Camus than Simenon, Philippe Claudel’s wrenching French mystery, By a Slow River, unfolds during and immediately after World War I, when a young girl is strangled and dumped in a rural canal. A village policeman recounts the bleak stories of everyone involved, looping back and forth through time to convey his Tragic View of Life. There’s the icy lawyer, doomed to solitude after his wife’s premature death; the corrupt and piggish judge, who gobbles boiled eggs while examining the corpse; the pretty schoolteacher, who unaccountably hangs herself. But the real subject, we gradually learn, is the narrator himself, whose perspective comes violently into question with the book’s grim final twists.
By a Slow River More Camus than Simenon, Philippe Claudel's wrenching French mystery, By a Slow River, unfolds during and immediately after World War...By a Slow RiverFiction, Mystery and ThrillerPhilippe Claudel More Camus than Simenon, Philippe Claudel's wrenching French mystery, By a Slow River, unfolds during and immediately after World War...2006-06-09Knopf
Genre: Fiction, Mystery and Thriller; Author: Philippe Claudel; Publisher: Knopf
Posted June 9 2006 — 12:00 AM EDT
- 'Wayward Pines' exec producer Chad Hodge's post-show dish: Why (SPOILER) had to die
- Casting Net: Gabrielle Union heading to Jamie Foxx action film 'Sleepless Night'
- 'The View' eyeing two new cohosts?
- 'The Help' director Tate Taylor to helm 'Girl on the Train'
- Pete Davidson live tweets his 'Harry Potter' marathon, gives 'dope as f---' review
- Reese Witherspoon as Tinker Bell: Disney developing 'Peter Pan' spinoff 'Tink'
- Molest claim vs. Josh Duggar; family says...
- Cannes 2015: What's buzzing in film and fashion (so far)
- 'Survivor': Meet 20 alums you picked for a 'Second Chance'
- Ellie Kemper, more faces of the 2015 Webby Awards
- Summer Music Preview 2015: 10 hottest tours
- Melissa McCarthy: Did you know she was in...?
- Kendall & Lily, Jon Bon Jovi, Chanel Iman and More!