There’s just something about Matthew McConaughey in Dazed and Confused [which recently received the Criterion Collection treatment on DVD] that’s never left him. When he came in to audition for the part of Wooderson, Matthew was like this good-looking, clean-cut guy, kind of a frat boy. The first thing he said to me was ”Listen, man. I’m not this guy, but I know this guy. I grew up in Longview, Texas, and I know this guy.” We both had this hint of recognition like ”Oh, yeah.” And Wooderson had such a great line: ”It’d be a lot cooler if you did.” I got that from a guy in Montana, he was like this stoner guy, and that’s just the way he’d say it. Later on, Matthew told me that he modeled his performance off of one of his older brothers. Sort of. Not who he really was, but who he thought he was: a guy who’s got it all figured out. Matthew dug into some kind of personal reservoir in himself for that part. I saw him transform right in front of my eyes.
Posted June 9 2006 — 12:00 AM EDT
- 'Are You The One?' season 3 trailer: See the new twist in action
- Theo Rossi joins 'Luke Cage' cast, Rosario Dawson will return as Claire Temple
- Garbage to reissue 20th anniversary edition of their debut album
- Sarah Jessica Parker, Bill Hader, and Jason Sudeikis to guest on 'Billy on the Street'
- 'Walking Dead' actor to guest on Fox's 'Minority Report'
- Hulk Hogan: The N-word was part of my 'daily environment' growing up
- Eddie Redmayne hopes 'Fantastic Beasts' will be 'quite a ride'
- All the VMAs 2015 performances graded
- VMAs 2015 Red Carpet: See All the Looks!
- 16 TV characters who stuck around longer than expected
- Behind Lady Gaga's killer look in 'American Horror Story: Hotel'
- 'American Horror Story: Hotel' First Look: 11 EW exclusive photos
- The A List Ladies, Jake Gyllenhaal, Anna & Jane and More!