”My husband would wake at three minutes to five, and by five o’clock we had made love,” moans Nina, narrator of Françoise Dorner’s precious first novel The Woman in the Row Behind. ”I was happy for him, but…” Nina, who runs a Paris newspaper kiosk, begins peeking at porn magazines. Soon she’s servicing a stranger (the first man ”who trusted my mouth and my steely little teeth”) under a café table. Is her hubby also restless? To find out, she approaches him in disguise in a darkened cinema. But instead of a spicy encounter, Nina’s absurd experiment leads to endless, earnest hand-wringing about her dreary marriage, and this saucy little fiction becomes a bore.
The Woman in the Row Behind ''My husband would wake at three minutes to five, and by five o'clock we had made love,'' moans Nina, narrator of Françoise Dorner's precious...The Woman in the Row BehindFictionFrancoise Dorner ''My husband would wake at three minutes to five, and by five o'clock we had made love,'' moans Nina, narrator of Françoise Dorner's precious...2006-06-09Other Press
Genre: Fiction; Author: Francoise Dorner; Publisher: Other Press
Posted January 17 2015 — 7:41 AM EST
- Jonathan Crombie, seen as Gilbert Blythe in 'Anne of Green Gables' films, dies at 48
- Johnny Kemp, 'Just Got Paid' singer, dies
- Star Wars Celebration: Jakku, BB-8 and other key takeaways about 'The Force Awakens'
- Two generations of heroes meet in new 'Star Wars Rebels' trailer
- Zayn Malik thanks One Direction at event
- Pixar's 'Inside Out' peek: Joy has a special job for Sadness on first day at a new school
- ACM Awards' host Luke Bryan on big stage spotlight: 'It's fun to have a touch of anxiety'
- 'Star Wars' fans take Anaheim: Celebration photos
- 'Orphan Black': So, you wanna date a clone?
- 'Star Wars': 15 behind-the-scenes 'Force Awakens' pics
- Dirty words on TV? 17 faves whose spew is par for the coarse
- TV Style: 3 costume pros on their '70s-'80s-'90s inspirations
- Prince Harry, Christina Aguilera, Diane Kruger & More!