Michel Gondry, avatar of the surreal, goes lo-fi in documenting Dave Chappelle’s Block Party, featuring big-game hip-hop heavies as various as Erykah Badu, Big Daddy Kane, and the reunited Fugees. EXTRAS Exuberance abounds. A making-of trips from one just-happy-to-be-here participant to another (Badu to Gondry: ”I don’t understand anything you’re saying, but I’m with it”), and a doc following random invitees from Chappelle’s Ohio hometown (a marching band director describes the experience as ”living the caviar dreams”) is mainlined positivity.
(Dave Chappelle's Block Party: David Lee)
Genre: Comedy, Documentary; Starring: Dave Chappelle, Erykah Badu, Fugees, Mos Def; Director: Michel Gondry; Author: Dave Chappelle; Release Date Wide: 03/03/2006; Status: In Season; Runtime (in minutes): 100; Distributor: Focus Features
Posted June 13 2006 — 12:00 AM EDT
- Someone cut together 280 movies for an epic 'Uptown Funk' cover
- Box office report: ‘Mission: Impossible – Rogue Nation,’ 'Vacation'
- First trailer for Zoolander 2 asks one big existential question
- Valerie Harper replaced in play after hospital stay
- NFL legend Jerry Rice heads to 'Hawaii Five-0'
- Sarah Michelle Gellar wonders if daughter could be a ‘Future Slayer’
- Ronda Rousey pays tribute to ‘Rowdy’ Roddy Piper
- 'The Walking Dead' Season 6: 12 EW exclusive photos
- 10 must-have items from the 'Mad Men' auction: Exclusive
- Stars go back to work! 'Scandal,' 'Arrow,' 'The Good Wife,' more return to set
- Charlie Hunnam and Excalibur glisten in 'King Arthur' first look photos
- Here are the 2015 games we're looking forward to most
- FKA Twigs, Adrian Grenier, Bethenny Frankel and More!