Michel Gondry, avatar of the surreal, goes lo-fi in documenting Dave Chappelle’s Block Party, featuring big-game hip-hop heavies as various as Erykah Badu, Big Daddy Kane, and the reunited Fugees. EXTRAS Exuberance abounds. A making-of trips from one just-happy-to-be-here participant to another (Badu to Gondry: ”I don’t understand anything you’re saying, but I’m with it”), and a doc following random invitees from Chappelle’s Ohio hometown (a marching band director describes the experience as ”living the caviar dreams”) is mainlined positivity.
(Dave Chappelle's Block Party: David Lee)
Genre: Comedy, Documentary; Starring: Dave Chappelle, Erykah Badu, Fugees, Mos Def; Director: Michel Gondry; Author: Dave Chappelle; Release Date Wide: 03/03/2006; Runtime (in minutes): 100; Distributor: Focus Features
Posted January 17 2015 — 7:41 AM EST
- Casting Net: Courtney Love, Timothy Hutton, Giancarlo Esposito join James Franco's 'The Long Home'
- Nicki Minaj joins 'Barbershop 3' cast
- 'Forever' sneak peek: John Noble puts Henry to a test he nearly fails
- 'Late Show' sneak peek: President Obama, David Letterman make retirement plans
- 'The Flash': Iris confronts Barry with the truth
- Jada Pinkett Smith on Fish Mooney's fate as 'Gotham' wraps season 1
- Orlando Jones exits 'Sleepy Hollow'
- 'Pitch Perfect 2' costume designer's fashion notes
- Mourning after: Best TV episodes after a key character died
- NSYNC hair, revisited on 'It's Gonna Be May' meme day
- 'Outlander' sweats details so Lallybroch feels like home
- 'Grey's Anatomy': How 10 characters/actors exited the show
- Britney Spears, Orlando Bloom, Solange & More!