He’s a solidly successful 39-year-old star, husband, and father, but Adam Sandler still coasts on American pop culture’s peculiar indulgence of boys who won’t grow up. In Click, he plays Michael Newman — an adult male in whom a big baby yearns to breathe free. Michael’s wife (Kate Beckinsale) and kids compete for his attention with his cartoon-mean boss (David Hasselhoff), who demands that he choose work over family. This is all too much for the excitable boy, and he feels out of control — until an eccentric department-store employee (Christopher Walken, the mention of whom makes the ”eccentric” qualifier charmingly redundant) sets him up with a universal remote more universal than the customer bargained for. (That Walken’s character goes by the death-tinged name of Morty ought to be a clue.) Fast-forwarding, pausing, and rewinding through his very life, Michael of course learns that nobody on a deathbed ever regretted not spending enough time at work, and that his is a wonderful life. At times dark and at other times gooey, the disgruntled comedy, directed by Sandler crony Frank Coraci, would itself like to be It’s a Wonderful Life, but Michael earns none of George Bailey’s mature wisdom honestly. Sandlerites are invited to discuss, at length, the appeal of the star’s ode to arrested development, while I marvel that, once again, the doofus is rewarded with a woman of unfurrowed beauty and saintly patience.
(Click: Tracy Bennett)
Genre: Drama, Comedy; Starring: Adam Sandler, Kate Beckinsale, David Hasselhoff, Christopher Walken; Director: Frank Coraci; Author: Steve Koren, Mark O'Keefe; Release Date Wide: 06/23/2006; Runtime (in minutes): 98; MPAA Rating: PG-13; Distributor: Columbia Pictures
Posted July 5 2006 — 12:00 AM EDT
- James Bond: Sam Mendes thinks 'it's time for somebody else' to direct
- Tom Hardy chats with Princes William and Harry at charity polo tournament
- 'Mother, May I Sleep With Danger?' trailer: James Franco's re-'vamp'
- Melissa McCarthy to 'Ghostbusters' haters: 'I hope they find a friend'
- Zac Efron shares 'High School Musical' throwback cast photo
- What is Essex Corp? 'X-Men: Apocalypse' post-credits scene explained
- 'Kingsman 2': Jeff Bridges joins 'The Golden Circle'
- The Best Summer Vacations in Movies
- See Exclusive Behind-the-Scenes Photos From Disney Channel Original Movies
- Getting 'Close' With Nick Jonas: See EW's Exclusive Cover Shoot
- Carpool Karaoke: James Corden's Most-Watched Videos
- The Most Famous Swimsuit Scenes From TV and Movies
- See All of Entertainment Weekly's X-Men Covers