The self-absorbed New Yorkers who inhabit The Great New Wonderful are an antsy lot in 2002: An aggressive entrepreneur (Maggie Gyllenhaal) schemes to crush a competitor (Edie Falco), a placid company drone (Jim Gaffigan) roils with internal rage, an old woman (Olympia Dukakis) stalls in an ancient marital rut. Working from a stagy script by Sam Catlin, director Danny Leiner uses a dainty palette of tristesse (untouched when he made Dude, Where’s My Car?) to suggest that the shadow of 9/11 makes every discontent more pathetic.
(GREAT NEW WONDERFUL: Abbot Genser)
Genre: Drama, Comedy; Starring: Edie Falco, Maggie Gyllenhaal, Jim Gaffigan, Olympia Dukakis, Tony Shalhoub; Director: Danny Leiner; Author: Sam Catlin; Release Date Limited: 06/23/2006; Runtime (in minutes): 88; MPAA Rating: R; Distributor: First Independent Pictures
Posted July 5 2006 — 12:00 AM EDT
- Shia LaBeouf arrested in Austin for public intoxication
- The 'Robot Chicken' cast can't stop talking about 'Pretty Little Liars'
- 'Mr. Robot' cast reveal how they recover from intense scenes
- Fox cuts 'Minority Report' order to 10 episodes
- 'Con Man' panel fulfilled our 'Firefly' dreams at New York Comic Con
- Clark Gregg on whether 'Agents of SHIELD' will ever encounter mutants
- Watch Aladdin and Jasmine reunite for 'A Whole New World'