The self-absorbed New Yorkers who inhabit The Great New Wonderful are an antsy lot in 2002: An aggressive entrepreneur (Maggie Gyllenhaal) schemes to crush a competitor (Edie Falco), a placid company drone (Jim Gaffigan) roils with internal rage, an old woman (Olympia Dukakis) stalls in an ancient marital rut. Working from a stagy script by Sam Catlin, director Danny Leiner uses a dainty palette of tristesse (untouched when he made Dude, Where’s My Car?) to suggest that the shadow of 9/11 makes every discontent more pathetic.
(GREAT NEW WONDERFUL: Abbot Genser)
Genre: Drama, Comedy; Starring: Edie Falco, Maggie Gyllenhaal, Jim Gaffigan, Olympia Dukakis, Tony Shalhoub; Director: Danny Leiner; Author: Sam Catlin; Runtime (in minutes): 88; MPAA Rating: R; Distributor: First Independent Pictures
Posted January 17 2015 — 7:41 AM EST
- Exclusive: Flo Rida drops breezy, Robin Thicke-featuring "I Don't Like It, I Love It"
- Justin Timberlake pretends to pull a Kanye on Taylor Swift at iHeartRadio Awards
- 'Jurassic World' TV spot: Making new dinos is still a bad idea
- iHeartRadio Music Awards 2015: Our 5 favorite moments
- Trevor Noah to replace Jon Stewart as 'Daily Show' host
- 'Walking Dead': Andrew Lincoln breaks down 'extraordinary' season finale
- 'Walking Dead': Norman Reedus on Daryl's big finale
- Will Ferrell's 15 greatest movie creations
- Julia Louis-Dreyfus in full bloom: New EW portraits
- 'Grey's Anatomy': 10 years, 20 defining moments
- 'Batman v. Superman' character portraits: Like the looks?
- 'American Crime Story' cast: Think each actor looks the part?
- Justin Theroux, Josh Gad, Kristen Stewart & More!