He gave us Glitter, and yet actor Vondie Curtis Hall is actually a fine director. His underrated debut, 1997’s Gridlock’d, was much more thoughtful than you’d think. Its B-movie stupidities aside, so too is Waist Deep, Curtis Hall’s latest. The plot is pure urban fantasy: In an attempt to rescue his son from kidnapping carjackers, an ex-con named O2 (Tyrese Gibson) all but bulldozes through all of L.A. with a hot sidekick (Meagan Good). But Curtis Hall keeps slipping in surprising social and emotional flavorings rarely found in the genre. As long as his next movie’s not a Glitter sequel, we’re there.
Genre: Drama, Action/Adventure, Mystery and Thriller; Starring: Meagan Good, Tyrese, The Game, Kimora Lee Simmons, Larenz Tate; Director: Vondie Curtis-Hall; Author: Darin Scott, Vondie Curtis-Hall; Release Date Wide: 06/23/2006; Runtime (in minutes): 97; MPAA Rating: R; Distributor: Rogue Pictures
Posted July 5 2006 — 12:00 AM EDT
- 'SNL' preview: What to expect from Dakota Johnson and Alabama Shakes?
- 'Parks and Rec': On set for the final day
- John Green's 'Alaska' scriptwriters set
- Craig Ferguson set for ABC comedy pilot
- Will Smith back in 'Focus': What critics said
- 'The Red Road's Jason Momoa on season 2 and when we can expect Aquaman in action
- Look, but don't retouch? What our female celeb photo fascination says about us
- 20 TV series that nailed it with their very first scenes
- 'Last Man on Earth' guys salute inspirations
- 'Empire': New EW cast portraits and behind-the-scenes photos
- 'Dancing with the Stars': Sizing up the season 20 cast
- 'Parks' 2017: What we embrace/dread in world of tomorrow
- Susan Sarandon, Prince William and More!