He gave us Glitter, and yet actor Vondie Curtis Hall is actually a fine director. His underrated debut, 1997’s Gridlock’d, was much more thoughtful than you’d think. Its B-movie stupidities aside, so too is Waist Deep, Curtis Hall’s latest. The plot is pure urban fantasy: In an attempt to rescue his son from kidnapping carjackers, an ex-con named O2 (Tyrese Gibson) all but bulldozes through all of L.A. with a hot sidekick (Meagan Good). But Curtis Hall keeps slipping in surprising social and emotional flavorings rarely found in the genre. As long as his next movie’s not a Glitter sequel, we’re there.
Genre: Drama, Action/Adventure, Mystery and Thriller; Starring: Meagan Good, Tyrese, The Game, Kimora Lee Simmons, Larenz Tate; Director: Vondie Curtis-Hall; Author: Darin Scott, Vondie Curtis-Hall; Release Date Wide: 06/23/2006; Runtime (in minutes): 97; MPAA Rating: R; Distributor: Rogue Pictures
Posted July 5 2006 — 12:00 AM EDT
- Bob Dylan thanks Nobel Prize committee for honoring his songs as literature
- Chris Pratt says his son thinks acting is 'stupid'
- 'Assassin's Creed': Final trailer has plenty of new footage
- Louis Tomlinson debuts new song on ‘X Factor’ days after mom’s death
- 'Insidious: Chapter 4' first look sees Lin Shaye facing her demons
- 'Sherlock' intense season 4 trailer: 'I love you'
- Patti Smith covers Bob Dylan at Nobel Prize ceremony