He gave us Glitter, and yet actor Vondie Curtis Hall is actually a fine director. His underrated debut, 1997’s Gridlock’d, was much more thoughtful than you’d think. Its B-movie stupidities aside, so too is Waist Deep, Curtis Hall’s latest. The plot is pure urban fantasy: In an attempt to rescue his son from kidnapping carjackers, an ex-con named O2 (Tyrese Gibson) all but bulldozes through all of L.A. with a hot sidekick (Meagan Good). But Curtis Hall keeps slipping in surprising social and emotional flavorings rarely found in the genre. As long as his next movie’s not a Glitter sequel, we’re there.
Genre: Drama, Action/Adventure, Mystery and Thriller; Starring: Meagan Good, Tyrese, The Game, Kimora Lee Simmons, Larenz Tate; Director: Vondie Curtis-Hall; Author: Darin Scott, Vondie Curtis-Hall; Release Date Wide: 06/23/2006; Runtime (in minutes): 97; MPAA Rating: R; Distributor: Rogue Pictures
Posted July 5 2006 — 12:00 AM EDT
- Preview John Arcudi's new prison murder mystery comic, 'Dead Inside'
- Shailene Woodley speaks out on Dakota Access Pipeline protest arrest
- Michael J. Fox still isn't sure how the science works in 'BTTF'
- #TrumpBookReport tweets trend after presidential debate
- Blink-182 recreate 'What's My Age Again?' clip with Adam Devine
- Bruce Springsteen wrote a song for 'Harry Potter' that was never used
- GLAAD celebrates Spirit Day with new 'Fun Home'-inspired music video