He gave us Glitter, and yet actor Vondie Curtis Hall is actually a fine director. His underrated debut, 1997’s Gridlock’d, was much more thoughtful than you’d think. Its B-movie stupidities aside, so too is Waist Deep, Curtis Hall’s latest. The plot is pure urban fantasy: In an attempt to rescue his son from kidnapping carjackers, an ex-con named O2 (Tyrese Gibson) all but bulldozes through all of L.A. with a hot sidekick (Meagan Good). But Curtis Hall keeps slipping in surprising social and emotional flavorings rarely found in the genre. As long as his next movie’s not a Glitter sequel, we’re there.
Genre: Drama, Action/Adventure, Mystery and Thriller; Starring: Meagan Good, Tyrese, The Game, Kimora Lee Simmons, Larenz Tate; Director: Vondie Curtis-Hall; Author: Darin Scott, Vondie Curtis-Hall; Release Date Wide: 06/23/2006; Runtime (in minutes): 97; MPAA Rating: R; Distributor: Rogue Pictures
Posted July 5 2006 — 12:00 AM EDT
- Selma Blair on her 'American Crime Story' role: ‘I happen to love Kris Jenner’
- Hasbro says four more 'Transformers' sequels are on the way
- Emilia Clarke and Jason Momoa had a 'Game of Thrones' reunion
- Lenny Kravitz & James Franco rock out in the new 'Guitar Hero Live' commercial
- Lady Gaga's 'AHS: Hotel' role made her feel 'so alive'
- J.K. Rowling debunks 'Harry Potter' fan theories on Twitter
- Nicolas Cage doesn’t regret turning down 'Lord of the Rings' role