The bug murderer in I Like Killing Flies, Matt Mahurin’s flavorful snack of a documentary, is Kenny Shopsin, whose Greenwich Village hole-in-the-wall eatery, Shopsin’s, predates the storefront of Seinfeld’s Soup Nazi by decades as a cult-fave place to get good food and piquant abuse. Before the joint was relocated a few blocks away to outfox a rent hike, Mahurin — an artist and habitué — hung out stoveside, soaking up Shopsin-esque flavor with a video camera and a peyote button of a mic that often appears in the frame. The result is an unabashedly home-cooked homage to New York eccentricity.
Genre: Documentary; Starring: Eve Shopsin, Kenny Shopsin, Calvin Trillin; Director: Matt Mahurin; Release Date Limited: 07/28/2006; Status: In Season; Runtime (in minutes): 79; MPAA Rating: R; Distributor: THINKFilm
Posted August 2 2006 — 12:00 AM EDT
- 'Descendants' react: Did the tale about junior Disney villains cast a spell?
- Andre 3000 joins ABC's 'American Crime'
- Casting Net: Gary Oldman joins space love story
- Josh Gad wraps 'Beauty and the Beast' filming, shares pic
- Remembering Roddy Piper's rowdy film career
- Why 'The Tribe' is the perfect videogame movie
- 'Fear the Walking Dead' producers offer hints about the show's timeline
- 'The Walking Dead' Season 6: 12 EW exclusive photos
- 10 must-have items from the 'Mad Men' auction: Exclusive
- Stars go back to work! 'Scandal,' 'Arrow,' 'The Good Wife,' more return to set
- Charlie Hunnam and Excalibur glisten in 'King Arthur' first look photos
- Here are the 2015 games we're looking forward to most
- Michael & Kate, Michelle Rodriguez, Joss Stone and More!