The bug murderer in I Like Killing Flies, Matt Mahurin’s flavorful snack of a documentary, is Kenny Shopsin, whose Greenwich Village hole-in-the-wall eatery, Shopsin’s, predates the storefront of Seinfeld’s Soup Nazi by decades as a cult-fave place to get good food and piquant abuse. Before the joint was relocated a few blocks away to outfox a rent hike, Mahurin — an artist and habitué — hung out stoveside, soaking up Shopsin-esque flavor with a video camera and a peyote button of a mic that often appears in the frame. The result is an unabashedly home-cooked homage to New York eccentricity.
I Like Killing FliesThe bug murderer in I Like Killing Flies, Matt Mahurin's flavorful snack of a documentary, is Kenny Shopsin, whose Greenwich Village hole-in-the...I Like Killing FliesDocumentaryPT79MRThe bug murderer in I Like Killing Flies, Matt Mahurin's flavorful snack of a documentary, is Kenny Shopsin, whose Greenwich Village hole-in-the...2006-08-02Calvin TrillinTHINKFilm
Genre: Documentary; Starring: Eve Shopsin, Kenny Shopsin, Calvin Trillin; Director: Matt Mahurin; Runtime (in minutes): 79; MPAA Rating: R; Distributor: THINKFilm
Posted January 17 2015 — 7:41 AM EST
- Linda Lavin to return to Broadway in 'Our Mother's Brief Affair'
- Fox's 'Weird Loners' aren't quite weird or lonely enough
- A few theories on who Caity Lotz will play on the 'Arrow'-'Flash' spinoff
- Beastie Boys' Adam Horovitz gives relationship advice in 'Ask a Grown Man'
- Daytime Emmy Nominations announced: 'General Hospital' and 'The Ellen DeGeneres Show' lead in their categories
- Horror director Adam Green on his new web series, 'Scary Sleepover'
- 'Borderlands: The Handsome Collection' offers quality and quantity
- Woe-woe-woe: 23 signature sad songs of the past 20 years
- Jailbird watching: 13 memorable movie prisoners
- Will Ferrell's 15 greatest movie creations
- Julia Louis-Dreyfus in full bloom: New EW portraits
- 'Grey's Anatomy': 10 years, 20 defining moments
- Alicia, Nicki & Bey, Brooke Shields, Helen & Katie and More!