The bug murderer in I Like Killing Flies, Matt Mahurin’s flavorful snack of a documentary, is Kenny Shopsin, whose Greenwich Village hole-in-the-wall eatery, Shopsin’s, predates the storefront of Seinfeld’s Soup Nazi by decades as a cult-fave place to get good food and piquant abuse. Before the joint was relocated a few blocks away to outfox a rent hike, Mahurin — an artist and habitué — hung out stoveside, soaking up Shopsin-esque flavor with a video camera and a peyote button of a mic that often appears in the frame. The result is an unabashedly home-cooked homage to New York eccentricity.
I Like Killing FliesThe bug murderer in I Like Killing Flies, Matt Mahurin's flavorful snack of a documentary, is Kenny Shopsin, whose Greenwich Village hole-in-the...I Like Killing FliesDocumentaryPT79MRThe bug murderer in I Like Killing Flies, Matt Mahurin's flavorful snack of a documentary, is Kenny Shopsin, whose Greenwich Village hole-in-the...2006-08-02Calvin TrillinTHINKFilm
Genre: Documentary; Starring: Eve Shopsin, Kenny Shopsin, Calvin Trillin; Director: Matt Mahurin; Runtime (in minutes): 79; MPAA Rating: R; Distributor: THINKFilm
Posted August 2 2006 — 12:00 AM EDT
- Here's how J.K. Rowling responded to Ireland's historic gay marriage vote
- 'A Beautiful Mind' mathematician John Nash killed in car crash
- 'Turn' sneak peek: Washington meets Lafayette
- Chris Pratt: Why I'm ready to get away from Hollywood
- Matt Damon in Ridley Scott's 'The Martian': First Look
- 'Orphan Black' creator on that crazy, twerktastic episode
- 'Orphan Black': Dylan Bruce on Paul's big moment
- Summer Movie Preview: 10 must-see documentaries
- 'Fear the Walking Dead' First Look: 7 photos from the set
- Cannes 2015: What's buzzing in film and fashion
- 'Survivor': Meet 20 alums you picked for a 'Second Chance'
- Ellie Kemper, more faces of the 2015 Webby Awards
- Karina Smirnoff, Zachary Quinto, Taylor Swift & More!