The bug murderer in I Like Killing Flies, Matt Mahurin’s flavorful snack of a documentary, is Kenny Shopsin, whose Greenwich Village hole-in-the-wall eatery, Shopsin’s, predates the storefront of Seinfeld’s Soup Nazi by decades as a cult-fave place to get good food and piquant abuse. Before the joint was relocated a few blocks away to outfox a rent hike, Mahurin — an artist and habitué — hung out stoveside, soaking up Shopsin-esque flavor with a video camera and a peyote button of a mic that often appears in the frame. The result is an unabashedly home-cooked homage to New York eccentricity.
I Like Killing FliesThe bug murderer in I Like Killing Flies, Matt Mahurin's flavorful snack of a documentary, is Kenny Shopsin, whose Greenwich Village hole-in-the...I Like Killing FliesDocumentaryPT79MRThe bug murderer in I Like Killing Flies, Matt Mahurin's flavorful snack of a documentary, is Kenny Shopsin, whose Greenwich Village hole-in-the...2006-08-02Calvin TrillinTHINKFilm
Genre: Documentary; Starring: Eve Shopsin, Kenny Shopsin, Calvin Trillin; Director: Matt Mahurin; Runtime (in minutes): 79; MPAA Rating: R; Distributor: THINKFilm
Posted August 2 2006 — 12:00 AM EDT
- USA Women win soccer's World Cup: Celebs on Twitter say...
- 'Penny Dreadful' showrunner's postmortem on season finale: 'I’m just very proud of it'
- Kate Hudson gets patriotic, belts out the national anthem on Instagram
- 'Dukes of Hazzard' costar: TV Land wrong
- Keke Palmer previews 'Scream Queens'
- Empire State Building jams out to Grateful Dead with synchronized July 4 light show
- 'Back to the Future' turns 30: See the cast, then and now
- 'Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice': 6 EW exclusive photos
- Comic-Con 2015 preview: 10 panels we can't wait to see
- 'Seinfeld' faves: Where are they now?
- 14 high school movies that defined their year
- Rumer & Khloé, Usher, Cara Delevingne & More!