Gentrification: It isn’t just for neighborhoods anymore. In Quinceañera, a we’re-down-with-the-locals indie kitchen-sink drama written and directed by creative and life partners Richard Glatzer and Wash Westmoreland, exceptionally colorful fictional specimens of L.A.’s predominantly Mexican Echo Park community face unwelcome changes with the influx of upscale white residents. And really, they’ve got enough on their plates without a pasty Pottery Barn clientele moving in: Magdalena (appealing newcomer Emily Rios), about to celebrate the solemn/splashy quinceañera that traditionally marks a 15-year-old Latina’s coming-of-age, discovers she’s pregnant; her cousin Carlos (Jesse Garcia) gets kicked out of his house not because he’s in a gang, but because he’s gay; and although old, wise, loving Yoda-like Uncle Tomas (indomitable Chalo González, stealing the show 37 years after his debut in The Wild Bunch) is willing to take the pair in, he’s also running out of steam. Plus, in a twist most likely to occur to a filmmaker with a background in bad gay indies, Tomas’ landlords are now a couple of gay gentrifiers themselves, with eyes for Carlos. (The camera caresses Garcia.) Coincidence? Por favor. The setup may be no more contrived than in melodrama — or Little Miss Sunshine. But this isn’t just any setup, is it: It’s suds being sold as ethno-sensitive reality, a case of coveting thy neighbor’s fiesta.
Genre: Drama; Starring: Jesse Garcia, Emily Rios, Chalo Gonzalez; Director: Richard Glatzer, Wash Westmoreland; Author: Richard Glatzer, Wash Westmoreland; Release Date Limited: 08/04/2006; Runtime (in minutes): 90; MPAA Rating: R; Distributor: Sony Pictures Classics
Posted August 2 2006 — 12:00 AM EDT
- Frightened Rabbit reveal why they don't want to play stadiums
- The Ice Bucket Challenge helped fund the discovery of a new ALS gene
- Nas, Erykah Badu team for brooding 'This Bitter Land'
- This Week's Cover: 'The Walking Dead' is 'Negan's world now'
- Jason Derulo to guest star on Fox's 'Lethal Weapon' — exclusive
- Zach Galifianakis looks criminally dumb in 'Masterminds' images
- Jared Leto salutes Heath Ledger's Joker
- 'Planet of the Apes': See the Famous Faces Behind the Makeup
- Toronto Film Festival 2016: See First Look Images From This Year's Lineup
- 'One Tree Hill': Where Are They Now?
- 'Little Miss Sunshine': Where Are They Now?
- 'Harry Potter and the Cursed Child': 22 Magical Photos
- Comic-Con 2016: Celebs at the Biggest Day 4 Panels