Gentrification: It isn’t just for neighborhoods anymore. In Quinceañera, a we’re-down-with-the-locals indie kitchen-sink drama written and directed by creative and life partners Richard Glatzer and Wash Westmoreland, exceptionally colorful fictional specimens of L.A.’s predominantly Mexican Echo Park community face unwelcome changes with the influx of upscale white residents. And really, they’ve got enough on their plates without a pasty Pottery Barn clientele moving in: Magdalena (appealing newcomer Emily Rios), about to celebrate the solemn/splashy quinceañera that traditionally marks a 15-year-old Latina’s coming-of-age, discovers she’s pregnant; her cousin Carlos (Jesse Garcia) gets kicked out of his house not because he’s in a gang, but because he’s gay; and although old, wise, loving Yoda-like Uncle Tomas (indomitable Chalo González, stealing the show 37 years after his debut in The Wild Bunch) is willing to take the pair in, he’s also running out of steam. Plus, in a twist most likely to occur to a filmmaker with a background in bad gay indies, Tomas’ landlords are now a couple of gay gentrifiers themselves, with eyes for Carlos. (The camera caresses Garcia.) Coincidence? Por favor. The setup may be no more contrived than in melodrama — or Little Miss Sunshine. But this isn’t just any setup, is it: It’s suds being sold as ethno-sensitive reality, a case of coveting thy neighbor’s fiesta.
Genre: Drama; Starring: Jesse Garcia, Emily Rios, Chalo Gonzalez; Director: Richard Glatzer, Wash Westmoreland; Author: Richard Glatzer, Wash Westmoreland; Release Date Limited: 08/04/2006; Runtime (in minutes): 90; MPAA Rating: R; Distributor: Sony Pictures Classics
Posted August 2 2006 — 12:00 AM EDT
- Zoe Saldana goes green (again) for 'Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2'
- Chelsea Peretti and Jordan Peele are engaged
- Adele’s '25' smashes records with first-week album sales
- Listen to David Tennant explain Einstein's theory of general relativity
- See the fiery opening title sequence for 'The Shannara Chronicles'
- Daniel Radcliffe is jealous of Eddie Redmayne's 'Fantastic Beasts' costume
- Ron Howard set to direct thriller 'The Girl Before'