As a passage to the spirit world, technology — videotape, cell phones, computer screens — has lost its novelty. In this American remake of the spooky, more-atmospheric-than-coherent 2005 J-horror thriller, the ghosts blink and crackle into existence with an electromagnetic sputter, but really, they’re not so different from the gauzy, see-through spirits of yesteryear. It would have been a lot scarier if Pulse’s college kids, haunted by comrades who stare back at them from cyber-hell, looked like they had lives worth saving.
(Pulse: Mark Plummer)
Genre: Horror; Starring: Kristen Bell, Ian Somerhalder, Samm Levine, Christina Milian; Director: Jim Sonzero; Author: Stephen Susco; Release Date Wide: 08/11/2006; Runtime (in minutes): 87; MPAA Rating: PG-13; Distributor: Dimension Films, The Weinstein Company
Posted August 9 2006 — 12:00 AM EDT
- 'The Silence of the Lambs' still screams after 25 years
- A look back at the time 'Silence of the Lambs' won big at the Oscars
- Happy Valentine's Day! Read highlights from Aziz Ansari's 'Modern Romance'
- 'The Walking Dead' showrunner previews introduction of the Hilltop
- Kanye West's 'The Life of Pablo' has finally arrived
- Jonah Hill to host 'Saturday Night Live'
- Interracial marriage drama 'Loving' acquired by Focus Features