In this universe of infinitely recycled movie ideas, a few student superheroes who never saw the X-Men trilogy still don’t feel good about their superpowers. For these stragglers, Tim Allen arrives in Zoom as a decommissioned superhero himself, a grouchy and pouchy cynic assigned (by Rip Torn and Chevy Chase as goofy-solemn official types) to train a quartet of young superpeople for a dangerous mission. In a feat of dullness quite powerful in its own way, this lifeless family comedy sucks the joy from every joke it touches; X-Men’s Rogue would be envious.
(Zoom: Ava Gerlitz)
Genre: Comedy, Action/Adventure; Starring: Tim Allen, Chevy Chase, Courteney Cox, Kate Mara, Rip Torn; Director: Peter Hewitt; Author: David Berenbaum; Release Date Wide: 08/11/2006; Runtime (in minutes): 83; MPAA Rating: PG; Distributor: Columbia Pictures
Posted August 9 2006 — 12:00 AM EDT
- Robin Williams' widow pens essay about his brain disorder
- Former 'Power Rangers' star denies killing his roommate with a sword
- Watch Britney Spears sing Taylor Swift's 'Shake It Off' on helium
- 'Once Upon a Time': Is there hope for Belle and Rumple?
- Colin Trevorrow: 'Jurassic World 2' will be 'suspenseful and scary'
- NBC scraps 'Mail Order Family' comedy after backlash
- 'Stranger Things' is even stranger in 8-bit animated remake