Brit Anna Maxted (Getting Over It) takes a rather facile premise — twentysomething Cassie is thin, driven, and fabulous, while older sister Lizbet is plumpish, absent-minded, and prone to long skirts and mumsy cardigans — and finds unexpected depths. Always close, the pair are driven apart by dark secrets involving parentage, spousal relations, and the ability to conceive a child. Maxted’s sometimes willfully obtuse and stubborn protagonists easily makes A Tale of Two Sisters 50 pages longer than necessary, but her knack for tapping into women’s deepest anxieties and desires remains strong.
A Tale of Two Sisters Brit Anna Maxted (Getting Over It) takes a rather facile premise — twentysomething Cassie is thin, driven, and fabulous, while older...A Tale of Two SistersFictionAnna Maxted Brit Anna Maxted (Getting Over It) takes a rather facile premise — twentysomething Cassie is thin, driven, and fabulous, while older...2006-08-11Dutton Adult
Genre: Fiction; Author: Anna Maxted; Publisher: Dutton Adult
Posted August 11 2006 — 12:00 AM EDT
- Box office report: ‘Mission: Impossible – Rogue Nation,’ 'Vacation'
- First trailer for Zoolander 2 asks one big existential question
- Valerie Harper replaced in play after hospital stay
- NFL legend Jerry Rice heads to 'Hawaii Five-0'
- Sarah Michelle Gellar wonders if daughter could be a ‘Future Slayer’
- Ronda Rousey pays tribute to ‘Rowdy’ Roddy Piper
- British singer and TV star Cilla Black dies at 72
- 'The Walking Dead' Season 6: 12 EW exclusive photos
- 10 must-have items from the 'Mad Men' auction: Exclusive
- Stars go back to work! 'Scandal,' 'Arrow,' 'The Good Wife,' more return to set
- Charlie Hunnam and Excalibur glisten in 'King Arthur' first look photos
- Here are the 2015 games we're looking forward to most
- FKA Twigs, Adrian Grenier, Bethenny Frankel and More!