An underdog dramedy about an unattractive magazine assistant who wears braces just became the new fall show to beat. We’re not kidding. Earlier this week, ABC decided to move Ugly Betty — produced by Salma Hayek and inspired by the Mexican telenovela Yo Soy Betty, la Fea — from Fridays to Thursdays at 8 p.m., where it will lead into Grey’s Anatomy and go head-to-head with Survivor. By repositioning its most promising new drama, ABC may just have created its strongest Thursday-night set since Mork & Mindy, What’s Happening!, Barney Miller, and Soap aired way back in 1978. Heck, even competitors were lauding the move. ”If you surround Grey’s Anatomy with crap, you won’t accomplish anything,” says one rival. ”Ugly Betty makes sense with Grey’s. And women love shows about ugly ducklings who make it.” (The slot’s previous occupants, Big Day and Notes From the Underbelly, which were not as strongly received at the Television Critics Association meeting last month, will debut late fall.) So now, with the switcheroo, My Name Is Earl faces a much stronger attack. ”Reality viewers are reality viewers, so Betty shouldn’t have any impact on Survivor,” says the rival. ”It’ll be more difficult for Fox and NBC.”
Posted August 11 2006 — 12:00 AM EDT
- The CW moves up premiere dates for 'Jane the Virgin,' 'Crazy Ex-Girlfriend'
- Jemaine Clement voices a 'mind-reading fart' in exclusive 'Rick and Morty' clip
- John Carpenter pays tribute to 'Rowdy' Roddy Piper
- Patrick Stewart on cocaine is hilarious in 'Blunt Talk' trailer
- Wrestling great Roddy Piper dies
- See the exclusive first trailer of 'First Times with Jenn and Jack'
- Lauryn Hill covered Nina Simone's 'Feeling Good'
- 'The Walking Dead' Season 6: 12 EW exclusive photos
- 10 must-have items from the 'Mad Men' auction: Exclusive
- Stars go back to work! 'Scandal,' 'Arrow,' 'The Good Wife,' more return to set
- Charlie Hunnam and Excalibur glisten in 'King Arthur' first look photos
- Here are the 2015 games we're looking forward to most
- Amy Poehler, Justin Theroux, Rihanna & More!