Oliver Stone conjures the unabsorbable shock of 9/11. Then two Port Authority policemen, John McLoughlin (Nicolas Cage) and Will Jimeno (Michael Peña), wake up in darkness, their bodies pinned by concrete and twisted metal. As their heads fill the frame, the actors find a quiet, touching connection. Stone has made a scrupulous and honorable film, yet it lacks dramatic urgency. He earns his penance, but at the expense of his art.
Genre: Drama; Starring: Maria Bello, Nicolas Cage, Michael Pena, Maggie Gyllenhaal; Director: Oliver Stone; Author: Andrea Berloff; Release Date Wide: 08/11/2006; Status: In Season; Runtime (in minutes): In Season; MPAA Rating: In Season; Distributor: Paramount Pictures
Posted August 11 2006 — 12:00 AM EDT
- 'Sports Illustrated' reveals how the NFL persuaded Michael Jackson to perform at the Super Bowl
- Rachael Taylor joins 'A.K.A. Jessica Jones'
- Study: Binge-watching TV might make you sad
- A.J. McLean previews 'raw' Backstreet Boys documentary
- NEEDTOBREATHE teams with Gavin DeGraw for 'Brother'
- Disney to intro its first Latina princess
- Box office preview: 'Project Almanac' joins 'American Sniper' in theaters