Set during the twin catastrophes of WWI and the 1918 flu epidemic, Thomas Mullen’s Last Town on Earth explores the risks of trading freedom for safety. The utopian mill town of Commonwealth, Wash., votes to quarantine itself to prevent infection. When sensitive Philip Worthy is on guard duty, an exhausted soldier who may or may not be sick emerges from the nearby forest and begs for shelter. Graham Stone, Philip’s fellow guard, shoots the soldier, sending the town into a tailspin. While the characters never really breathe on the page, the grim specter of their possible demise makes this ambitious debut tough to put down.
The Last Town on Earth Set during the twin catastrophes of WWI and the 1918 flu epidemic, Thomas Mullen's Last Town on Earth explores the risks of trading...The Last Town on EarthFictionThomas Mullen Set during the twin catastrophes of WWI and the 1918 flu epidemic, Thomas Mullen's Last Town on Earth explores the risks of trading...2006-08-18Random House
Genre: Fiction; Author: Thomas Mullen; Publisher: Random House
Posted August 18 2006 — 12:00 AM EDT
- Mel Brooks was 'ready to jump off a roof' over 'Solarbabies' fiasco
- WATCH: 'X-Men: Apocalypse' stars build their ideal mutant garage band
- James Cameron's 'Alita: Battle Angel' casts Rosa Salazar as lead
- WATCH: Dierks Bentley on what influenced new album 'Black'
- 'Top Gear' host Matt LeBlanc teases roofless car race
- Andy Samberg freestyles about bananas in Lonely Island 'Popstar' clip
- Nick Jonas on Miley Cyrus: 'I'm proud of her'
- The Best Summer Vacations in Movies
- See Exclusive Behind-the-Scenes Photos From Disney Channel Original Movies
- Getting 'Close' With Nick Jonas: See EW's Exclusive Cover Shoot
- Carpool Karaoke: James Corden's Most-Watched Videos
- The Most Famous Swimsuit Scenes From TV and Movies
- See All of Entertainment Weekly's X-Men Covers