Set during the twin catastrophes of WWI and the 1918 flu epidemic, Thomas Mullen’s Last Town on Earth explores the risks of trading freedom for safety. The utopian mill town of Commonwealth, Wash., votes to quarantine itself to prevent infection. When sensitive Philip Worthy is on guard duty, an exhausted soldier who may or may not be sick emerges from the nearby forest and begs for shelter. Graham Stone, Philip’s fellow guard, shoots the soldier, sending the town into a tailspin. While the characters never really breathe on the page, the grim specter of their possible demise makes this ambitious debut tough to put down.
The Last Town on Earth Set during the twin catastrophes of WWI and the 1918 flu epidemic, Thomas Mullen's Last Town on Earth explores the risks of trading...The Last Town on EarthFictionThomas Mullen Set during the twin catastrophes of WWI and the 1918 flu epidemic, Thomas Mullen's Last Town on Earth explores the risks of trading...2006-08-18Random House
Genre: Fiction; Author: Thomas Mullen; Publisher: Random House
Posted August 18 2006 — 12:00 AM EDT
- 'Dukes of Hazzard' star slams TV Land for dropping show
- Keke Palmer: 'Scream Queens' will be just 'as brutal' as 'American Horror Story'
- Empire State Building jams out to Grateful Dead with synchronized July 4 light show
- Dave Grohl's game of throne in D.C.
- Kit Harington: Buzz about his long hair
- Missy Elliott takes show into the crowd at Essence Fest
- 'Back to the Future' turns 30: See the cast, then and now
- 'Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice': 6 EW exclusive photos
- Comic-Con 2015 preview: 10 panels we can't wait to see
- 'Seinfeld' faves: Where are they now?
- 14 high school movies that defined their year
- Rumer & Khloé, Usher, Cara Delevingne & More!