Set during the twin catastrophes of WWI and the 1918 flu epidemic, Thomas Mullen’s Last Town on Earth explores the risks of trading freedom for safety. The utopian mill town of Commonwealth, Wash., votes to quarantine itself to prevent infection. When sensitive Philip Worthy is on guard duty, an exhausted soldier who may or may not be sick emerges from the nearby forest and begs for shelter. Graham Stone, Philip’s fellow guard, shoots the soldier, sending the town into a tailspin. While the characters never really breathe on the page, the grim specter of their possible demise makes this ambitious debut tough to put down.
The Last Town on Earth Set during the twin catastrophes of WWI and the 1918 flu epidemic, Thomas Mullen's Last Town on Earth explores the risks of trading...The Last Town on EarthFictionThomas Mullen Set during the twin catastrophes of WWI and the 1918 flu epidemic, Thomas Mullen's Last Town on Earth explores the risks of trading...2006-08-18Random House
Genre: Fiction; Author: Thomas Mullen; Publisher: Random House
Posted August 18 2006 — 12:00 AM EDT
- 'Agent Carter' takes on Tinseltown in season 2 teaser
- Idris Elba 'nearly died' filming 'Beasts of No Nation'
- Zach Galligan wants to return for 'Gremlins 3'
- Hear Erykah Badu and Andre 3000 team up for 'Hello'
- 'Gods of Egypt' director: 'Our casting choices should have been more diverse'
- Patti LaBelle spends Thanksgiving with pie fan James Wright
- Hear Sia's new single 'One Million Bullets'