In a love letter to the iconoclast architect (the Walt Disney Concert Hall), Jackson Pollack mixes a pleasant cocktail of building montages, Gehry razzing his own work (”That is so stupid looking, it’s great!”), and celeb interviews. But despite beautiful imagery and Michael Eisner hilariously likening an ice rink to breasts, Sketches of Frank Gehry remains just that: a glimpse of a storyteller through structure, with no real story to tell. EXTRAS In a chat with director Alexander Payne, Pollack admits how little he knew about architecture before filming. C+ —Timothy Gunatilaka
Genre: Documentary; Starring: Frank Gehry, Sydney Pollack; Director: Sydney Pollack; Status: In Season; Runtime (in minutes): In Season; MPAA Rating: In Season; Distributor: Sony Pictures Classics
Posted August 18 2006 — 12:00 AM EDT
- 'Sports Illustrated' reveals how the NFL persuaded Michael Jackson to perform at the Super Bowl
- Rachael Taylor joins 'A.K.A. Jessica Jones'
- Study: Binge-watching TV might make you sad
- A.J. McLean previews 'raw' Backstreet Boys documentary
- NEEDTOBREATHE teams with Gavin DeGraw for 'Brother'
- Disney to intro its first Latina princess
- Box office preview: 'Project Almanac' joins 'American Sniper' in theaters