As advertised, these L.A. peacocks borrow much of their strut from bigger acts. The quartet’s self-titled debut Under the Influence of Giants cribs the Killers’ throbbing synths and Maroon 5’s falsetto smugness, but their best songs have a syncopated, funk-derived edge that those bands lack. Clever flourishes — a buoyant horn chart here, a wash of angelic harmony there — keep their glossy sound from getting monotonous. It’s hard to resist such a carefree blend, especially in the last days of summer.
Under the Influence of Giants As advertised, these L.A. peacocks borrow much of their strut from bigger acts. The quartet's self-titled debut Under the Influence of GiantsUnder the Influence of GiantsPop As advertised, these L.A. peacocks borrow much of their strut from bigger acts. The quartet's self-titled debut Under the Influence of Giants2006-08-18
Genre: Pop; Producer (group): Island
Posted August 18 2006 — 12:00 AM EDT
- 'Survivor: Cambodia—Second Chance' cast reveals the players they are surprised got voted in
- Why Kim Dickens almost turned down 'Fear the Walking Dead'
- 5 Seconds of Summer explain how Third Eye Blind influenced their new album
- Quentin Tarantino and Kevin Smith talk about renting porn in new book excerpt
- Conan reads late-night texts from Adam Sandler
- Neil deGrasse Tyson hosts 'The Martian' promo
- 6 new things we know about Janet Jackson's 'Unbreakable'
- 'American Horror Story: Hotel' First Look: 11 EW exclusive photos
- 17 photos of people you forgot hung out at the VMAs
- 24 Movies With Great Opening Scenes
- 'Survivor: Cambodia—Second Chance' Cast Photos Revealed!
- Where is the cast of 'Can't Hardly Wait' now?
- Emma Watson, Matt Damon, Helena Bonham Carter & More!