As advertised, these L.A. peacocks borrow much of their strut from bigger acts. The quartet’s self-titled debut Under the Influence of Giants cribs the Killers’ throbbing synths and Maroon 5’s falsetto smugness, but their best songs have a syncopated, funk-derived edge that those bands lack. Clever flourishes — a buoyant horn chart here, a wash of angelic harmony there — keep their glossy sound from getting monotonous. It’s hard to resist such a carefree blend, especially in the last days of summer.
Under the Influence of Giants As advertised, these L.A. peacocks borrow much of their strut from bigger acts. The quartet's self-titled debut Under the Influence of GiantsUnder the Influence of GiantsPop As advertised, these L.A. peacocks borrow much of their strut from bigger acts. The quartet's self-titled debut Under the Influence of Giants2006-08-18
Genre: Pop; Producer (group): Island
Posted January 17 2015 — 7:41 AM EST
- Dwayne 'The Rock' Johnson hosts 'SNL': Talk about it here
- Hugh Jackman teases final go-round as 'Wolverine' on Instagram
- J.K. Rowling's 'Casual Vacancy' miniseries gets a trailer
- Sacha Baron Cohen as Freddie Mercury
- Justin Moore on touring with Miranda Lambert, new music, and getting to play Madison Square Garden
- What we're reading now: Hammer Head by Nina MacLaughlin
- Trevor Noah eyed as 'Daily Show' host?
- Julia Louis-Dreyfus in full bloom: New EW portraits
- 'Grey's Anatomy': 10 years, 20 defining moments
- 'Batman v. Superman' character portraits: Like the looks?
- 'American Crime Story' cast: Think each actor looks the part?
- Double trouble: Movie/TV characters who fight themselves
- The Clooneys, Sienna Miller Kate & Kate and More!